If Softball HAS to Have Time Limits…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2020
Interesting idea. My thoughts, though, is that you are now creating multiple time limits. What I have found works is the "finish the inning" idea. i think it is bush league when coaches do exactly as you mentioned - I've coached a game where the other coach changed catchers twice and the pitcher once. That's completely unacceptable and is a mockery of the game. If you have to finish the inning, this would alleviate the problem. No drop dead. Change catchers all you want - I'm still batting in the bottom of the inning. You still will have the coach milk the clock so they do not have to start an inning, but at least you aren't getting the multiple catching changes, tying of the shoes, conferences, etc.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Interesting idea. My thoughts, though, is that you are now creating multiple time limits. What I have found works is the "finish the inning" idea. i think it is bush league when coaches do exactly as you mentioned - I've coached a game where the other coach changed catchers twice and the pitcher once. That's completely unacceptable and is a mockery of the game. If you have to finish the inning, this would alleviate the problem. No drop dead. Change catchers all you want - I'm still batting in the bottom of the inning. You still will have the coach milk the clock so they do not have to start an inning, but at least you aren't getting the multiple catching changes, tying of the shoes, conferences, etc.
The only games where it was drop dead was JV games, pool games, and some showcase games that meant nothing. Otherwise time limit with finish the inning. Never experienced the revert to previous inning format.

May 29, 2015
Oh no ... Reading the minutes from the last IESA (middle school organization in Illinois) and they discussed (no action) adding time limits and/or reducing games to 5 innings. I have nothing beyond the minutes report.

GENERAL DISCUSSION TOPICS
1. Discussion of the 2021 season. Glad to have a season and a chance to meet with players.
2. Discussed a proposal regarding moving the start date up one/two weeks. No recommendation from committee.
3. Discussed a proposal regarding a four-class system. No recommendation from committee. Since this was the first year of the three-class system, the committee would like to have more data before discussing an additional class.
4. Discussed two different proposals that would place a time limit on contests. No recommendation from committee.
5. Discussed a proposal to require the use of Game Changer. The committee will recommend that teams/schools use Game Changer for the 2022 season. A survey will be sent out to gather data on the number of schools/teams currently using Game Changer.

6. Discussed a proposal to reduce the number of innings from 7 to 5. No recommendation from committee.

EDIT: Baseball DID add a time limit. Or change the time limit? I had never heard before that they had one, but it appears they may have. From their information:
Committee Meeting
RECOMMENDATION #2
Current:
For regular season play, no inning can start 2 hours and 15 minutes after the first pitch of the game. Any inning in progress shall be completed
Proposed: For regular season play, no inning can start 2 hours after the first pitch of the game. Any inning in progress shall be completed.
Rationale: We are experiencing an umpire shortage in many areas of the state. There is also a significant number of umpires that will not work jr. high games due to the length of games along with the low pay. We received many phone calls and emails from schools struggling to get two licensed officials to work their games. It became such an issue that we allowed them to hire one licensed umpire if their opponent, the schools administration, and the umpire, all agreed to have one licensed umpire. This issue is not isolated to one area of the state but is statewide. T&C Section VII; B Handbook 4.015 Admin. Vote 2-0 in favor Board Action Approved

Board Meeting (Approved)

Baseball— The Baseball Advisory Committee met on November 1, 2021. Motion by McAlister/Yoder to approve recommendation #2 (not allow a regular season inning to start 2 hours after the first pitch of the game) and #3 (allow metal cleats). Carried.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28