If Softball HAS to Have Time Limits…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Most pitchers can't go a full 7 innings unless they are forced to like in HS. Why? Because they never get the opportunity. There was a pitcher on DD's college team who had never pitched an entire 7 inning game in her life. Not even on her JUCO team. It was rough her first year.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Why not just stop the clock for all of the tomfoolery in the last 5 minutes so that there's no reason to do it? Seems simple.
Hmmm interesting concept! Maybe no changes can be made or timeouts in the last 5 minutes?

Except the clock can be controlled throughout the entire game anyway. The clock is the same for both teams the entire game.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Most pitchers can't go a full 7 innings unless they are forced to like in HS. Why? Because they never get the opportunity. There was a pitcher on DD's college team who had never pitched an entire 7 inning game in her life. Not even on her JUCO team. It was rough her first year.
Very important point!

Possibly some pitchers throw more in their individual workouts then they would in one game at 1:15.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Very important point!

Possibly some pitchers throw more in their individual workouts then they would in one game at 1:15.
I don't remember any full 7 inning events in the fall showcase time period. There might be one or two events that go 4 timed games into a single elimination bracket that might have full games. Each game coach has to manage his pitcher's circle time allowing 2 pitchers per game. No pitcher will get the opportunity to pitch a full 7 inning game.

May 29, 2015
Usssa has the shortest time limited I’ve ever seen and the furthest thing from real softball there is. PGF around here tend to be the longest usually 80min pool and 90 min bracket. Sometimes bracket is 7 innings in qualifiers . Alliance is just taking hold so not sure what their qualifiers look like in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something to keep in mind is that these time limits are rarely the product of the name brand … they are the product of the local tournament.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I just returned from NE Finest for my older daughter's final TB event. Her team went 5-1 in their games, which were timed at 90 minutes. Not one game went a full seven innings.

Game 1 lost 4-3. The game ended after the top of the 6th with us coming to bat. Timed out.
Game 2 won 17-2. The game ended after the top of the 5th with them coming to bat. Timed out.
Game 3 won 9-2. The game ended after the bottom of the 4th. Timed out.
Game 4 won 8-3. The game ended after six innings. Timed out.
Game 5, won 5-4. The game ended after six innings. Timed out.
Game 6 won 8-0. The game ended in the bottom of the 6th inning with them batting and only two outs. Timed out.

My younger daughter's team just won TCS nationals in Myrtle Beach. The only game of the 10 they played that went seven innings was the championship game.

Jul 14, 2018
My younger daughter's team just won TCS nationals in Myrtle Beach. The only game of the 10 they played that went seven innings was the championship game.

Congrats! We saw some solid teams there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I just returned from NE Finest for my older daughter's final TB event. Her team went 5-1 in their games, which were timed at 90 minutes. Not one game went a full seven innings.

Game 1 lost 4-3. The game ended after the top of the 6th with us coming to bat. Timed out.
Game 2 won 17-2. The game ended after the top of the 5th with them coming to bat. Timed out.
Game 3 won 9-2. The game ended after the bottom of the 4th. Timed out.
Game 4 won 8-3. The game ended after six innings. Timed out.
Game 5, won 5-4. The game ended after six innings. Timed out.
Game 6 won 8-0. The game ended in the bottom of the 6th inning with them batting and only two outs. Timed out.

All but a few of DD's games at Sparkler went 7. What was that, 90 minutes? (it has been a month..I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday)

Jul 28, 2019
DD’s team is currently playing in alliance nationals right now. All games are 7 innings. It has been the best experience so far. It has given teams that get down early in a game to come back later and win it or make it interesting. Girls are getting 4 at bats a game. We love it. More please.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD’s team is currently playing in alliance nationals right now. All games are 7 innings. It has been the best experience so far. It has given teams that get down early in a game to come back later and win it or make it interesting. Girls are getting 4 at bats a game. We love it. More please.
I didn't appreciate a full 7 inning game until DD got to HS. First of all, DD rarely played full 7 inning games previous to HS so I never got to a chance to watch or coach in those games. I was used to her getting at the very most 3 AB's in a game, but HS 3-4 AB's was the norm. Then she started playing in the timed showcase games where she split time at catcher 50% of the time only getting 1-2 AB's a game.

Then she started playing bigger events like IDT, TCS Nat's, JO Cup, etc where those were 7 inning games. And now College. 3 games a weekend. All 7 inning games.

I think at 10U TD's try to do events where they play max 5 innings instead of timed games. At that age we were so used to playing 1hr 10 min games. When we went to ASA Southerns they did 1 hr 45 min games and I had a huge problem. My pitchers did not have the stamina to last that long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee