I lost it with the 12U Coach.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
Right Kevin! The downside to this whole situation is finding girls in our small community. We have a horrible rec league that has some decent candidates but the parents might be a problem. We shall see. Thanks JJ. :)
The adults are almost always the problem, but you as a positive adult can change that. Good for you for starting your own team. If you can't find enough regulars to make up a team, consider bringing in some hired guns (a.k.a guest players). Also don't be afraid of taking in lesser skilled girls and develop them. You will never find the diamond in the rough until you start mining. I had one girl on my team that had never played catcher before, but she could throw down to second in under 2 seconds. By the end of the season she was picking off girls at 3rd like it was nothing. She had teams afraid to lead off of 3rd. She was awesome. She was all heart and raw athletic ability. Just looking at her you would not have guessed it but I took a chance on her. We also had a horrible rec league to pick from.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Right Kevin! The downside to this whole situation is finding girls in our small community. We have a horrible rec league that has some decent candidates but the parents might be a problem. We shall see. Thanks JJ. :)

Yes I know. We also have a small community and trying to build a program is tough. Heck it's so bad in our town that the local paper reports ALL the Summer Baseball games, but nothing on softball. Our 14 team took 2nd in State 14B, and just won a big local tournament, but NOTHING in the paper (Go figure). These kids were developed within. Good luck and get 'em on the field.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Heck it's so bad in our town that the local paper reports ALL the Summer Baseball games, but nothing on softball. Our 14 team took 2nd in State 14B, and just won a big local tournament, but NOTHING in the paper (Go figure). These kids were developed within. Good luck and get 'em on the field.

We just write the articles for the local papers and send them to one of the guys on the sports desk we know. He corrects our grammatical errors and gets it published normally with his name attached... I don't think he even knows where the fields are.

Sometimes you just have to do the work for them.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We just write the articles for the local papers and send them to one of the guys on the sports desk we know. He corrects our grammatical errors and gets it published normally with his name attached... I don't think he even knows where the fields are.

Sometimes you just have to do the work for them.

Yea we have done the same, except they place it in the Community Sports section (small little space), not in the regular Sports Section...but the Boys, Oh yea they get front page every week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478