I got fired tonight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2019
Well....my daughter fired me tonight as her catcher. Not because I suck, but because she says it's way too easy to get mad at me and that she works harder with/for other people. She's right too.

I reminded her that she is always able to use the net in the basement to throw anytime she would like. Coordinating with a catcher is going to be a hassle- we live in the country & she's 12. 😞

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD and I have had a love/hate relationship in terms of catching for her. Was more my lack of knowledge on how to properly coach her.

Now that I’m more educated, and she’s older, it’s much better. But, she does work harder when a teammate or friend is catching.

If and when the time comes I’ll miss catching for her.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
That is Perfect! Now you can criticise her without worrying about catching the ball. :)

Not sure why it broke down but she will be back. Take a little time to see what she thinks broke down.

We paid a neighbor's son to C For DD occasionally. Nice for her to get away from dad and do her own thing but I was still the go to guy.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I reminded her that she is always able to use the net in the basement to throw anytime she would like. Coordinating with a catcher is going to be a hassle- we live in the country & she's 12. 😞

My DD does not like practicing alone. She's talkative and throws better when she's not in her head. So throwing into a net is like pulling teeth. It's gotten better as she's gotten older (13), but still wants someone to catch for her. One thing that helped was hanging a cheap pizza pan for her to throw at. Gives her a target, makes noise, and gets louder the harder she throws it. We mark the day we hung it up and the goal is to have to replace it faster than the last one.

May 16, 2016
it's way too easy to get mad at me and that she works harder with/for other people. She's right too.

Try catching more, and speaking less, save the occasional "good pitch". Let your pitching coach give the instructions at lessons.

At our facility, I see parents catching in the other lanes, and they are giving instruction/criticism on almost every pitch, and you can see their kid's blood boiling... Unless they ask me, "hey, let me know if I am doing this..." I just keep my mouth shut. If they throw a good "whatever they are working on at the time", I will give them a thumbs up, or a "good pitch".

And if they throw a bad one... well, they know it was bad... they don't need you pointing it out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101