HS Ball: Valid Excuses for Missing Games/Practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Does anyone else find it ironic that high schools have a mandatory attendance policy for their 3 hour, 5-6 day/week, "closed" practices while TB has a "be there if you can", 2 hour, 2-3 times/week, open practice?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I as a parent call you and tell you DD is not going to at practice is good enough. DD does not need a valid excuse. I would stick to whatever the school policy is for missing school.

Only exception is Spring Break, we have had a couple coaches that had a black and white rule that stated every day you missed you sat out a game. I do not agree with this but you knew what you signed up for.

(I tried to find one of my favorite threads about reasons players have giving you for not showing up to practice.)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Also, I don't know if it's the coach's rule or state law ( I believe it's law here in Ohio), but if the student misses school for whatever reason, they are not allowed to participate in any sporting events or practices that day.

What was brutal about that here in IL. is the rule is something about the Player needs to attend school before they are allowed to play or practice. So if they missed school on Friday they are done until Monday. Like you I am not sure of the actual rule.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Injury. Although I believe that an injured player should show up for practice, I know that many won't if left to their own devices. At our HS they need a Dr.'s excuse to miss practice. In other words they better be at the doctors for an exam during practice or else they are required to be there even if they can't participate.

Also, I don't know if it's the coach's rule or state law ( I believe it's law here in Ohio), but if the student misses school for whatever reason, they are not allowed to participate in any sporting events or practices that day.

Our HS rule was, a student had to attend more than half the school day to be eligible to play same day game(s). So "half" was 11:10am, we always made sure if Ms________ had to check out for ________, it was officially at 11:11am, which was more than half a day. Game on!!!! :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Does anyone else find it ironic that high schools have a mandatory attendance policy for their 3 hour, 5-6 day/week, "closed" practices while TB has a "be there if you can", 2 hour, 2-3 times/week, open practice?

Our HS practice 2 hours at a time. Open to any and all even the indoor ones. This last week they held 3 practices.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
DD requested and received permission to miss part of practice for her Driving test, though she managed to get there in time anyway.
I'm not proud of it, but rescheduling for 5-8 weeks out would just as likely have put us right back in the same position. The DMV always wins.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You fool. Sally we cannot go to your driving test because you have SB practice, I am too busy at work, car is not clean, etc. :) Umm on the other hard she can drive herself to practice, never mind good decision.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore