How would you score these?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
One more question. .. DD gets a lot of base on errors. It's not unusual for her to double the number of the girl 2nd.in BOE. She also was tied for most walks (bats 5 th usually). Her AC said who cares, she hits hard and puts the ball in play. ..keep doing what she's doing. Would the high BOE be just another case of how the hit was interpreted. Happens in TB too.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
One more question. .. DD gets a lot of base on errors. It's not unusual for her to double the number of the girl 2nd.in BOE. She also was tied for most walks (bats 5 th usually). Her AC said who cares, she hits hard and puts the ball in play. ..keep doing what she's doing. Would the high BOE be just another case of how the hit was interpreted. Happens in TB too.

IMO, yes. If those balls are hit so hard that an average infielder might bobble them, they could be awarded as hits. It is not an error just because a fielder touched it and didn't make the play.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
But, having said that, is there a reason she is hitting so many grounders? DD was doing this a couple of years ago, reaching on a lot of bobbled balls by the SS, and that's when I noticed the pronounced "chop" in her swing. The timing was there, but she was driving the ball into the ground.

Oct 10, 2011
But, having said that, is there a reason she is hitting so many grounders? DD was doing this a couple of years ago, reaching on a lot of bobbled balls by the SS, and that's when I noticed the pronounced "chop" in her swing. The timing was there, but she was driving the ball into the ground.
Actually a lot of them are line drives...a lot of times to the SS'S back hand or one hops to SS. When they happen, it's almost always to SS.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Sounds like she might be getting unintentionally shafted by the scorer. A dropped line drive to the backhand side as an error sounds a little harsh.

Speed can also be a factor: would the runner have beaten the throw even if the fielder hadn't bobbled it? If so, should not be an error.

I am scoring as if these are 14U players since that is the youngest age we could possibly be dealing with here.

For the SS, I am pretty much convinced it's an error. If she was able to get in front of the ball and be squared-up enough that it hit her in the tummy, she should have made the play, even if it was a scorcher. In my infield, you've gotta stop the hard ones, too, I'm afraid. It's your job.

The base running deal isn't so cut and dried. If the girl heading to second was dead meat with a decent throw, then it is E3. If it was going to be a super-close play, then I go SB. In that case, I am not going to punish my 1B because my catcher made a stupid throw.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore