How would you score these?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
These should be easy for you guys but...
A hard one bounce to shortstop that hits player in stomach...she goes down and can't make a play... BOE or Hit

Runner on first starts to take off then stops on steal attempt. Catcher throws to 1st; runner takes off to second and 1st baseman throws a one hop to SS at second and does not field it cleanly. Runner safe. Is that E3 on the steal attempt?
Good thing I don't keep the books but on a side note, a parent on our TB team said their HS coach doesn't keep stats, but allows the parents to give him stats if they keep them at the end of the year LOL.
Thanks

Aug 18, 2014
These should be easy for you guys but...
A hard one bounce to shortstop that hits player in stomach...she goes down and can't make a play... BOE or Hit

Runner on first starts to take off then stops on steal attempt. Catcher throws to 1st; runner takes off to second and 1st baseman throws a one hop to SS at second and does not field it cleanly. Runner safe. Is that E3 on the steal attempt?
Good thing I don't keep the books but on a side note, a parent on our TB team said their HS coach doesn't keep stats, but allows the parents to give him stats if they keep them at the end of the year LOL.
Thanks

Error on the Shortstop SOE to the hitter. Error on first baseman, no stolen base. My daughter yells at me all the time: "Dad tell me exactly when I had an error" Sorry honey, I want your stats to mean something.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
What age on the hard one hop to SS? 14U and up it's an E6, 12U and lower possibly a hit but without seeing it I can't say for sure.

E3 on the steal attempt 12U and up. 10U it's a Stolen Base all day lol.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Most batted balls that hit players in the stomach are going to be errors, but I would want to see it and get a feel for the level of play (not just age, but skill level) and what is 'ordinary' in that context. Also how hard it was hit and especiallywhat effort was required for her to get in front of the ball. If she had to move and the ball was really scorched and people are thinking, 'Way to keep the ball in front of you,' like a catcher making a block on a wild pitch, then maybe a hit.

Oct 10, 2011
This was HS varsity and the ball was hit by my daughter. I scored it as an error in my app but she does hurt a lot of players with her hits unfortunately even during 18U A TB. DW said hit because of how hard it was.

Jun 11, 2013
Why it hit her in the stomach makes a difference. If it clearly took a bad hop it could be a hit. If she just missed it it's an error. The other one is E3 if you can reasonable be sure that the girls should have been out. It it would have been bang bang at second even if SS caught it could be a SB but without seeing it's hard to tell.

Jul 6, 2013
Welp, that's one of the hardest things to get my scorekeeper to do correctly. She rules everything touched by a fielder as an error. The way I was always taught was this...the average, middle of the line SS in your area. Not the best, the one that sits right in the middle. If it is a play she should have made, and could have made, then it is an error. If you're playing against a team who has a D1 signed there, and she didn't make the play, there's a pretty good likelihood that the average SS wouldn't have either. Base hit. Not to say this is what happened in this case, but just how I was always explained it...and this may be a "no duh" moment for you. Lol

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Why it hit her in the stomach makes a difference. If it clearly took a bad hop it could be a hit. If she just missed it it's an error. The other one is E3 if you can reasonable be sure that the girls should have been out. It it would have been bang bang at second even if SS caught it could be a SB but without seeing it's hard to tell.

^^^^This is key. If no bad hop, it had to be an absolute screamer to be ruled a hit. If ball took a bad hop, score it a hit. If ordinary effort, score it E6.

Second scenario is E3-throw.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
E3 on the base running one; I see that one a lot in youth baseball, especially since the kids can lead off.

The SS one is much harder - I agree with what everyone has said about level of play and the quality of the hit. I was at a minor league baseball AAA game the other day. There was a hard hit, bouncing grounder to SS. The SS went down on one knee to field the ball, took a bad hop, and the ball ticked off the top of his glove. It was ruled a hit.

Edit: It's an interesting part of the game that a bad hop would be called a hit, same as the sun can't cause an error, therefore if the sun clearly got in a fielder's eyes, then a dropped, or not-caught, fly ball would be ruled a hit.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2011
I really appreciate this thread. It can be quite difficult scoring what would appear an obvious call. After scoring for a long time, you start to get a feel for what the play is, but you have to see it, to be able to apply your learned knowledge. My wife and I keep score quite a bit, for different levels of both baseball and softball. It's really tough. I often find myself reminding my own daughter, a stat isn't built on a single play or two. Quit worrying, hard work and effort at practice will get rewarded in games. Do your work, the rest will happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore