How would you classify...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2019
She'd enjoy that D3, but it's a no go unless they offer a LOT more money. She's already been offered a full go at a JUCO, but the drive would be over an hour one way. Just too far. A couple of local D2s contacted her in the winter, one even calling, but no follow up so far.
So she has applied, been accepted and been offered a financial aid package???

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Also, keep in mind that more and more schools (especially DIII's it seems) have begun offering no-loan initiatives. Combine that with and any academic $$, other grants and it just might be the ticket for many.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Cost vs. Education tough thing.
Especially when 50% at a D3 is more than say a local cal state college D1.

Maybe i missed reading this?
Is she considering being a walk on at somewhere local?
Live at home, that initself saves bucks.
Also stay local do a j.c. 1 year and dont play...(or do play)
Is a good option imo.
Gets the basic courses out of the way cheaper. Dont know many athletes who graduate a 4 yr. In 4 yrs.

Also Some colleges heavily recruit transfers!
You can look into the rosters locally see if that applies.

Good luck!

Apr 16, 2013
Small follow up. Amazing what communication does. While last year really screwed things up, first there ARE lots of colleges still looking for '21s. LOTS for '22s. How many colleges are there in your area? Fieldlevel is a damn good resource. Sign up and do a google like search for all colleges in your chosen radius. This weekend my DD played fill in at a showcase tournament. Looked at all the colleges that were listed in attendance. Researched and found 3 she was interested in. Contacted them (email) to let them know she'd be there and she'd introduce herself. Did so at the camp (this is BIG, lots of showcases have a camp the day before the tournament/showcase) and put on a good enough showing. For every game she played, at least one of those coaches were watching her. After she played her last game, she already had an offer from one of those schools she contacted. (D2) Will most likely visit Tuesday.

Tomorrow she has a 1 on 1 "workout" at a local Juco that found her on fieldlevel.

Later this week she has a call with an in state D1. She simply emailed them, found out they were still recruiting '21s, sent them the link to her youtube channel, and now she has a call.

Just bummed we didn't realize things like this 3 years ago. I'd say for every 3 schools she emailed, 1 emailed back. 1 of those never emailed back, but was actively watching her this past weekend after she introduced herself and gave the coach a profile sheet.

Soooo just like a marriage, communicate. You'll lose some, but you very well may win some! I always thought that if she put on a good showing at a showcase, she'd get offers. I now realize, if the school doesn't know you're interested, well they're looking at girls that they know are interested in their program. There are hundreds, if not thousands of girls to blindly look at. I still vividly remember one showcase. My DD hit the cover off a ball, over the fence. I literally heard a D2 coach say, "Did she hit the ball through the fence or over it?!" I thought, there we go, she'll go talk to my DD. NOPE. Never said a word to her. Now, if my DD had contacted that coach? One helluva impression.

Lesson learned. Late, but lesson learned. Hopefully I can pass that on to some younger players.

May 29, 2015
They've already offered her 50%. She has an appt with the admissions/financial aid to discuss getting more. The coach wants her, has watched her multiple times, calls her, texts her, and she's had an official visit. But, even at 50% they still have a long way to go. Maybe it can happen. We'll see. Still, she might just take a year off to work and save. My son has set the example for her, will graduate with a biology degree in one more semester and will owe zero money. Paid for everything by working and paying out of pocket. We know how to do that method, and might just end up doing that. Kinda at the crossroads right now.

What?! No! Everybody knows these rich schools are just oozing all the moneys used to pay for every dime of college for every athlete! You have to be lying that people can (and should) take realistic approaches to paying for college! Play more ball, spend more for my team and another coach, don't forget to buy my "get recruited" app/book/online profile that will get you there! {sarcasm}

May 29, 2015
She'd enjoy that D3, but it's a no go unless they offer a LOT more money. She's already been offered a full go at a JUCO, but the drive would be over an hour one way. Just too far. A couple of local D2s contacted her in the winter, one even calling, but no follow up so far.

Many JUCOs offer housing options, particularly for athletes.

Apr 16, 2013
Many JUCOs offer housing options, particularly for athletes.
She visited a good community college today that's about 2 hours away. They didn't have on campus dorms, but they had preferred apartments right down the road that works with the school. All athletes room together, fully furnished, all inclusive. Cost was surprisingly affordable. The plus, in the fall they play several D1 schools and one of those is my DDs #1 target. That could work out nicely.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She visited a good community college today that's about 2 hours away. They didn't have on campus dorms, but they had preferred apartments right down the road that works with the school. All athletes room together, fully furnished, all inclusive. Cost was surprisingly affordable. The plus, in the fall they play several D1 schools and one of those is my DDs #1 target. That could work out nicely.

My DD played at a juco, and it was perfect for her. She ended up at a great D1 mid major. @riseball 's daughter played juco and ended up at slightly better softball school than my DD--Alabama.

The truth is that my DD was not ready for D1. Had she went D1, she would have flopped, and probably quit softball. But, she went to a juco, had a great coach, and pitched against SoCal and AZ jucos. After two years, she was ready to play D1, and she did quite well.

Once your DD signs with a school, you have to shift from "softball mode" to "education mode". In college, her coach will be handling all things softball. What you need to do is keep track of your DD's education and how she is progressing to the ultimate goal of graduation.

Apr 16, 2013
My DD played at a juco, and it was perfect for her. She ended up at a great D1 mid major. @riseball 's daughter played juco and ended up at slightly better softball school than my DD--Alabama.

The truth is that my DD was not ready for D1. Had she went D1, she would have flopped, and probably quit softball. But, she went to a juco, had a great coach, and pitched against SoCal and AZ jucos. After two years, she was ready to play D1, and she did quite well.

Once your DD signs with a school, you have to shift from "softball mode" to "education mode". In college, her coach will be handling all things softball. What you need to do is keep track of your DD's education and how she is progressing to the ultimate goal of graduation.
I gotta admit, I think this Juco route will probably be a good one. This particular school is a pretty high level Juco, their win rate is around 80%. I think it might be a great place to start. She spent about 5 hours with them yesterday doing a campus visit, workout, and then going to lunch. Seemed to get along real well with the coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802