How would you classify...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
My DD just graduated. She has offers, but so far none she really wants. Well, one nice D3 she wants, but alas, with no scholarship money for athletics, it's not even remotely in her world for affordability. SOoooo, if she decides to just take a year off to work full time and save up money, would she be classified as a '22? Age wise, she can still play travel ball all this year and next as she's a young '21. I just know that recruiting is HOT for '22s, but mostly a non starter for '21s. I wouldn't know how to properly do that, because no matter how good or bad she is, she's ignored the moment they find out she's a '21.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
You have 5 years to play 4. If she's 30 years old and starts college, she is a freshman. Keep in mind that these D3 schools will start discounting tuition, once they know you are in, especially private schools. YMMV.

Jun 11, 2012
Is she getting academic money from that D3? If so call and ask if there is any more money possible. You never know.

Apr 16, 2013
Is she getting academic money from that D3? If so call and ask if there is any more money possible. You never know.
They've already offered her 50%. She has an appt with the admissions/financial aid to discuss getting more. The coach wants her, has watched her multiple times, calls her, texts her, and she's had an official visit. But, even at 50% they still have a long way to go. Maybe it can happen. We'll see. Still, she might just take a year off to work and save. My son has set the example for her, will graduate with a biology degree in one more semester and will owe zero money. Paid for everything by working and paying out of pocket. We know how to do that method, and might just end up doing that. Kinda at the crossroads right now.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'm not sure you have to "classify" anything. Regardless of sport, college coaches are interested in people who can play, and I don't think they care about when someone graduated from HS. Put her HS graduation year in the emails and showcase handouts and proceed.

However, I'm a bit confused. If she has her heart set on this particular D3, why are you concerned about recruiting? Did she ever consider JUCO ball instead of a gap year?

Apr 16, 2013
Not true! Plenty of jucos, NAIA, and D3 still looking for '21s
She's been emailing multiple schools asking where they're at. So far only one is looking for preferred walk ons. Keep in mind, she only wants to play/stay local, so that greatly limits the pool.

Apr 16, 2013
However, I'm a bit confused. If she has her heart set on this particular D3, why are you concerned about recruiting? Did she ever consider JUCO ball instead of a gap year?
She'd enjoy that D3, but it's a no go unless they offer a LOT more money. She's already been offered a full go at a JUCO, but the drive would be over an hour one way. Just too far. A couple of local D2s contacted her in the winter, one even calling, but no follow up so far.

Jul 22, 2015
She's been emailing multiple schools asking where they're at. So far only one is looking for preferred walk ons. Keep in mind, she only wants to play/stay local, so that greatly limits the pool.
OK. Yes, if you are very limited to a certain area then it could be tough. But, this is the time of year that you could see some major shuffling from jucos to D1 and the jucos can be in a tough spot so keep contact with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28