How would travel ball change "If pitchers were put on a pitch count"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
Games are just too short to be concerned with overthrowing in one game.
3 pitchers is enough to make it through any five or six game series in 3 days.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
It is obvious that we would need more players that can pitch.

The current system discourages pitchers growth in many ways. One of those ways would be, coaches are forced to play the "ace" as long as they are effective. Coaches would be able to help grow a developing pitcher if they had innings to do that.

Do you not think that demand would bring up supply if given enough time?

Jan 24, 2020
Here's a comment that may seem backwards or maybe counter-intuitive to this post topic but,...
what if teams could only have a maximum of 3 or 4 pitchers on their roster and that way the top teams would stop collecting 5,6,7 at a time?

Regulate innings by how many games are played per day.

( really just adding to the topic 🙂 think its fine the way it is)
Top teams would lie about who is a "pitcher." Pitcher #'s 5, 6, & 7 are "outfielders who haven't cracked the rotation" and the only way to get them into a game is to give them a few innings in the circle. Or, the coach will designate different pitchers for different tournaments for no other reason than to keep them on his/her roster and away from another team.

Whenever I see a new rule proposal (in any aspect of life, not just softball) my first thought is "how will this be circumvented or abused?" Amazing how just asking that question can make someone look like Nostradamus when some shady coach/administrator/boss does exactly what you would expect.

Jun 8, 2016
They would probably need to phase it in at the younger ages first for softball. For the person who asked, in LL softball I believe there is a inning limit per day.

Sep 19, 2018
Our local LL had max 9 innings per week if the team had 2 games or 12 if the 3 games. IIRC 6 innings was max in one day and then you had to have a rest day. Overall, If pitchers 4 and 5 are getting innings runs will be up and the total numbers of innings played will go down for sure.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
For Little League play it can be league dependent. In our local LL, a pitcher was limited to 6 innings per League Week. One pitch thrown would constitute an inning. This was done, in part, to foster the development of pitchers. If there was a make up game—thus 3 games in a League week—each pitcher would get to throw up to three additional innings.

In LL All Star tournament play through the Majors level, girls can throw a maximum of 12 innings a day (2 6 inning games). However, if they throw 7 innings or more in a single day, it mandates a day of rest. These rules loosen a bit more at the Juniors and Seniors level.

Innings, of course, do not exactly equate to a pitch count because I’ve seen my share, unfortunately, of 40 pitch LL innings. I remember walking over to an opposing LL coach one time and asking him, do you have any idea how many pitches your pitcher has thrown? (We were scoring the game on GC). Was about the 4th inning and she was at around 150 pitches. It was crazy. They finally took her out.

Dec 11, 2010
Lack of pitchers is what doomed the men’s game.

Same is slowly happening with women’s game.

Parents see their kids get squeezed for innings even at lower levels of tb because of the daddio coaches. They think “what’s the point, my kid will never pitch in hs if she doesn’t pitch here” and they work on position play and hitting. High school comes along and no one is pitching anymore. “Gee whiz, maybe we should have kept pitching.”

Gambler Bobs’ post is another angle. Kids get on better travel teams and are pretty much forced to give up pitching. There just isn’t enough time in the week to keep up with everything a player needs to practice.

I’m not convinced the current model is sustainable. You can probably thank the scumbag tournament directors, the mega teams directors and the college coaches for that. I think they better enjoy it while they can- eventually this bubble will burst. That’s a topic for another day though.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Where we would find coaches to train new pitchers would be the next problem.
Well... since a noticeable portion of coach coaches dont coach good overhand throwing mechanics...
Its already clear coaches trying to Teach underhand pitching is already a real far stretch.

These things are more technical.
Time
Energy
And know how
Come into reality here.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I’m not convinced the current model is sustainable. You can probably thank the scumbag tournament directors, the mega teams directors and the college coaches for that. I think they better enjoy it while they can- eventually this bubble will burst. That’s a topic for another day though.
Hmmm supply and demand.

Thank the tournament directors for hosting enough events for the mega amount of teams!

If you are seeking better performance in softball
Hold the coaches accountable for not creating rec'king ball level teams in travel.

Oh wait thats cruel, shouldnt everyone get to play?!

Perhaps its become clear
(Just like in college)
There are simply different levels of softball being played.

Certainly are a huge heck of a lot more softball teams then there are baseball teams here in California anyway.

if there were as many baseball teams Youth and teenager levels would definitely see more disparity also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478