How to tell coach my dd isnt a robot?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2016
That's why only pitchers parents should be allowed to be coaches. They are the only ones vested.

My daughter doesn't pitch. I have been coaching for quite some time now. I would NEVER have one of my pitchers throw 300+ in a day. I don't even know if I have had one do 200 in a day.

You just know better than everyone else.

Jun 7, 2020
My dd plays for 1 travel team which is out of season right now. On the travel team we have 3 pitchers. For pool play we have each girl pitch 1 game each. With that being said a girl may come in relief of another if needed. The most my dd has thrown in 1 weekend friday thru Sunday is about 280. That's for 3 days time. For travel ball my dd throws a max of 110 pitches per game. Usually she can pitch a game in about 85ish pitches. Sometimes less sometimes more.
As far as discomfort goes. She had some discomfort in the last inning of her 1st game. I tired to get her to use ice between games but she said no. Her pain was in the shoulder. She said she didn't feel pain but almost a numb tingling feeling. I checked on her periodically. Making sure she was staying hydrated and all. She told me each time she was fine. We talked her into taking a bag of ice with her on the hour and 15 min ride back to town. She said she iced it. She had a Sunday and Monday to rest pitching. Monday she had overhand throwing though. Tuesday she pitched 100 balls at practice after she was warmed up. Wednesday she pitched in a game. She pitched the whole 5 innings. We win in the bottom half of 5th. I ask my dd how her arm felt after the next morning and she said it was fine. The next day she pitched another complete 5 inning game losing by 1. The next morning she said she was fine. She wanted to talk more about her hitting and other things.

Am I being over protective? I mean 300 is a ton of pitches in a day. We have 2 more tournaments scheduled. October 2nd and I believe October 9th. Going into the season I knew she was going to be the main pitcher. I didn't know she was the only pitcher. I was told we had another pitcher but she wasn't quite game ready.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why set it to the random variable of # of games? What if she throws 30 pitches in the first game? This whole thread is insane, it's all about control and who has it.

The amount a pitcher can throw varies by pitcher. How they feel and how well they are pitching should be the determining factor.

I would be more concerned if the pitcher was throwing in back to back days vs how many "games" they throw in one day.

This is just pitcher parent drama.
The kid is in the 7th grade. So, her parents are in control...not the kid and certainly not the coach.

You can't trust an 11 year old when it comes to something she wants to do. And, of course, if she is hurting, then she is already hurt.

And, if the standard you use is "pitching well", then the coach will take her out too late.

The reason I use games is because of warmup pitches. She might throw a 100 before the game.

Feb 1, 2021
I hate to be the middle-of-the-road guy as usual, but I have seen this work both ways. I have seen kids that don't throw much come away with nagging injuries that require long-term PT to sort out. This seems to be pretty normal the older the kids get.

I have also seen girls pitch seemingly non-stop and never have an issue. Best pitcher I have ever had the pleasure of knowing personally was an iron (wo)man. She would make 300 pitches in a day look like a warm-up. In 12U she'd pitch a thousand+ pitches throughout a week on her easy weeks. She has never had an arm injury. As a college freshman, she is already the 'stud' of her college team and she's only 3 weeks into fall ball.

Certainly, however, it's up to the player and the parent to decide what that limit is, and whatever you come up with should be ok with a coach with or without some compromises.

Just be open to new information. If your DD isn't pitching lots of pitches almost daily, then a big weekend may cause her issues. However, if she needs to pitch a lot on tourney weekends, there is a way to do that safely if you do the work throughout the week and do proper arm care before and afterwards.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
My only advice is don't be a jerk about it. When DD was in high school, the best player on the team quit early season because the dad got into an unnecessary argument with the coach over something kinda like this. Dad was right, but lacked tact and came across as selfish and arrogant. Kid came across that way too, although it wasn't her fault. Strongly doubt it was her decision to quit. My DD defended her, but a captain sent her an unsympathetic letter about how she let down the team. Not saying the OP's situation is that flammable, but I do advise respectful communication.

Sep 7, 2021
My DDs pitching coach has told us to keep her pitching until either velocity goes down, form changes, or any discomfort. He said he has some girls who can pitch twice as many pitches in a day than other pitchers. Just depends on figuring out each ones limitations. Not sure how accurate that is, but kind of what we’ve been going off.

Aug 9, 2021
Tell the coach she cannot pitch more than X pitches.

X = whatever limit you and/or her pitching coach set for her based on her goals and weekly workload.

Pretty much end of discussion IMHO.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee