How to practice popups to catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
Im new to coaching an di am very weak on catching. What does anyone have for suggestions on practicing popups for catchers? This is a new 10u team, not much practice yet on catching

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I've always stood behind my catchers and thrown high pop-ups. As soon as it's released from my hand I'm yelling "Up!" Closest to a game situation that I could think of and it trains them to search and acquire the ball position quickly. Of course, I also do this with my pitchers in the circle and make sure they are pointing and stepping towards the ball position to help their catcher out. As I explain it to my pitchers, for every out she makes, it's on average of 3-4 more pitches they don't have to throw which means they can pitch longer in a game. That means they are helping themselves out just as much as their catcher.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I will kneel at the plate with my catcher behind me and flip balls up and back over my head, sometimes a little to the left or right. My body will block their view of how I am throwing the ball but I want them to see the trajectory as it goes up over my shoulders. On a foul pop up the catcher needs to be able to see the direction of the ball as it deflects off the bat, left, right or straight up. Kneeling in front of them and flipping balls up mimics this.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just like any defensive position,
Having our muscles ready to go is important!

How the catcher is crouching
can either help or not.

Prefer starting with an athletic crouch.
Feet out from under body, knees atleast as wide as shoulders.
(feet can be outside of knees)
Engages big muscles.
Strong and Balanced.

Like to break down movements/mechanics.
From Catching position~
1. Burst sprint.
2. Hop turn.
3. Bursting Hop turn sprint.
4. Then add pop up.

Add balls in the dirt behind
for pass ball recovery.
Can do some ball handling
Pic toss / Pic snaps
=Front toss / Back hand toss
to the plate.

May 23, 2015
A fungo is the only true way to practice catcher popups. You'll never be able to put the proper spin on the ball when throwing or with a machine

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A fungo is the only true way to practice catcher popups. You'll never be able to put the proper spin on the ball when throwing or with a machine
I actually like the half dome backstops.
(the backstops that are curved like a shell)
That spin will take pop ups backwards and underneath.
Following the rounded curve all the way back sometimes.
Fun to chase those down to get the out.
Have follwed those inches away from the fencing and ball not touch it.
Sure ball does same thing with an upright backstop but its still fun to follow the
Spin spin spin along the curvature!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802