How to increase speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
What is the formula? How much difference is there between brush and, say, 1 inch away from the body?
E=mc squared. 😁

Hell, I don't know the exact physics of it.

You asked what brush has to do with speed, I answered.

I'm not sure anyone has ever done the type of research you are now asking for.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Was curious how much difference it makes, that's all. I'm a little geekish on some of this stuff.
I don't think it adds any velocity but I am in the minority on this. If you have proper mechanics you will brush or come very close. There are some pitchers that have negligible brush and good velocity. There isn't a consensus on exactly where the brush takes place, upper arm or lower arm. If it's upper arm then maybe you get some kind of leverage when you IR, if it's lower arm then it seems like it would add drag. And then there's the idea that brush triggers release and is responsible for control, something else I don't agree with.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't think it adds any velocity but I am in the minority on this. If you have proper mechanics you will brush or come very close. There are some pitchers that have negligible brush and good velocity. There isn't a consensus on exactly where the brush takes place, upper arm or lower arm. If it's upper arm then maybe you get some kind of leverage when you IR, if it's lower arm then it seems like it would add drag. And then there's the idea that brush triggers release and is responsible for control, something else I don't agree with.
Hmmm 🤔

All that seems to add up to
*DO WHAT WORKS BEST FOR THE INDIVIDUAL.

Just sharing again caught for a lot of elite pitchers and not one was the same as the other... and they knew this and would discuss how each found success differently.

Jul 31, 2015
Was curious how much difference it makes, that's all. I'm a little geekish on some of this stuff.

There aren't the resources poured into softball pitching that there are into baseball pitching.
So not every millimeter of difference in stance, grip, release, etc. is studied for its outcome. There is no Driveline or Cressey or Tread Athletics for softball.

Brush allows for a consistent release point. And the more circular the arm swing, the greater the whip. Like golf.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
What is the formula? How much difference is there between brush and, say, 1 inch away from the body?
There are a few PC’s who are using 4D Motion to look at this and other aspects of mechanics to see what the data suggests.

It may actually be that good posture and whip are the keys, but since brush is almost always a byproduct, it makes it look like a contributor. I just know I see a speed increase when there is brush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812