How to enjoy watching streamed games...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Good one Ray...my wife will vouch for just how loud I still groan while watching these games online!

On a related note - I have to say it's amazing to me that some of these colleges and universities with the budgets they have and after over a year of learning how and being forced to do everything via Zoom or online still broadcast/stream games with such poor quality (if available at all). We apparently have been spoiled with the videographer skills of the Team Mom in 10U Rec games. With the technology available today (GoPro, LiveStream, Stretch, LinkSpyder, FB Live, etc.) there's really no good excuse to have college games and their broadcasts so far behind what we have available almost everywhere for Travel or HS ball.

A couple pet peeves that I have after a Covid shortened/No Spectator type season of DIII ball -

1) Only one poorly placed camera. Often the angle of the camera or depth of field isn't even considered, not being able to see the plate at 1rst or 3rd or even the Catcher setting up behind the dish? I watched only one school that knew how move the camera to follow a ball or how to zoom in or out. If they did have more than one camera there was no rhyme or reason as to witch view they might choose on any given day.

2) No audio. Not being able to hear anything coming from the field or the dugouts is absolutely ridiculous. To miss out on the energy of the game, the calls of the ump, the crack of the bat or the pop of a great pitch into the glove...not to mention the chants from the teams or the walk up music for the batter (if being played) takes away so much enjoyment for anyone who has ever watched a game live. Some announcers are good, some are bad and some are barely alive.

There's more but I think you get the point (maybe this should be a separate thread). Some folks are complaining about the professional qualities and differences of the PAC-12 vs the SEC (or other conf) televised games...try watching (or not being able to) some DIII games. They don't have to be perfect productions but really they should be much better! Thx for listening, *rant off

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I have watched some D1 games via streaming and it was NOT good. Fortunately, DD's team will usually have 2 camera angles and has a commentator and in person announcer. His comments are little ridiculous, but whatever. I have seen other schools with commentators that were remote. They are basically watching the same feeds as people at home.

Anyone watch any George Washington games? They don't even have stands or bleachers. They have a structure behind home plate where the announcers set up, but I don't see where any fans can watch other than beyond the outfield.

Oct 4, 2018
The only positive to watching all of her games online is that I didn’t have to worry about who heard me if I accidentally said anything out loud.

I think we've all come up with creative ways to not say something negative about someone else's kid:

"Shake it off"

"Nice try"

"Good effort"

"Dammit Eliose, at least try to get the ball"

"Get 'em next time"

"Not your pitch"

Nov 18, 2015
1621368073418.png

Here's GW's field. No spectator's allowed this year per DC ordinance. I think the circled area is a set of bleachers?

Love the overhanging rooflines. The field is sunk down / below grade level IIRC, so I don't think it's quite as "in play" as it appears.

GWU as a whole has always been thought of as a "school without a campus". It's based in a downtown area of DC (Foggy Bottom), so you can walk through campus and not really realize it. The field is on a satellite campus, the former Mt. Vernon College, an all girls college that GWU purchased / merged with in '99, and is a few miles away in the more residential part of town.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
View attachment 22125

Here's GW's field. No spectator's allowed this year per DC ordinance. I think the circled area is a set of bleachers?

Love the overhanging rooflines. The field is sunk down / below grade level IIRC, so I don't think it's quite as "in play" as it appears.

GWU as a whole has always been thought of as a "school without a campus". It's based in a downtown area of DC (Foggy Bottom), so you can walk through campus and not really realize it. The field is on a satellite campus, the former Mt. Vernon College, an all girls college that GWU purchased / merged with in '99, and is a few miles away in the more residential part of town.
You found it!!! So bizarre. They actually had a pretty great season this year. There were 2 local kids that played there in years past.

Jun 19, 2016
Y'all need to elect some new officials. Here in Texas, I only watch games online when I am at the other kids games. I do think they need to have a two way speaker so my commentary can be heard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23