How Pitching Illegally Comes Back to Haunt You

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 30, 2015
At the HS level, the pitchers I find consistently illegal aren't talented enough to make it past HS--at least IMO. They're usually pitching because noone else on the squad can.

May 16, 2016
I go to Slo mo to Confirm what I see..... But, thanks.
Because you not sure in real time.
lol.......... some real mental gymnastics going on here to try to make your point. If a toe is barely on the ground it isn't weight bearing and it's called the pivot foot because of where it STARTS, not what it does after the push off.
I think maybe you don't understand what a pivot point is...

Jan 28, 2017
Watching UF and OSU, they are talking about how great the OSU pitchers drag on her toe is and it’s off the ground. If your going to promote a good drag at least make it legal.🤷‍♂️

Dec 6, 2019
So, which rule is the Troy pitcher violating? And on the "legal" pitches, why is she not violating it? What part of "bearing weight" to an external observer isn't "subjective"? How much weight? Why is a toe on the ground bearing less weight than the bottom of a foot? Why does a bent leg bear more weight than a straight leg?

Balls and strikes is a "black and white" rule, but the officiating part is totally subjective.
She is replanting and getting a second push. I never said anything about "bearing weight" or the like. Agree with your comments about balls and strikes.

May 16, 2016
She is replanting and getting a second push. I never said anything about "bearing weight" or the like. Agree with your comments about balls and strikes
You need to read the NCAA rules a little closer... a "Replant" by itself is not illegal. And it's not a second push, it's a second starting point.

There are 3 components to the rule: It is illegal to replant, gain a second starting point AND push off her pivot foot. This is crow hopping.

NCAA Softball Rules 2021
10.5.5 The pitcher is not allowed to hop or drag to a replant (crowhop), gain a second starting point and push off her pivot foot. Once having lost contact with the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may trail on the ground but may not bear weight again until the pitch is released.

Bearing weight is part of the NCAA rules, so I assumed you knew that.... Because, Kelly Barnhill was not actually crow hopping, the bearing weight rule was added by the NCAA.

This is not a "Starting Point"....

1660752602433.png

May 16, 2016
Correct. It's a "second starting point."
Is that your subjective opinion? I have never seen anyone start pitching from this position.... weird...

Oh, wait, there is a rule about when the pitch starts....
10.3 Start of the Pitch The pitch officially begins and cannot be discontinued once the hands have separated after coming together.

While this umpire training video is about NFHS rules, the crow hopping rules are very much the same, except for the bearing weight section the NCAA added. 36 seconds into the video....

"The base umpire must focus on the pitchers pivot foot at the moment the hands separate" "When a pitcher is starting from in front of the pitchers plate, instead of on it, a crow hop has occurred."

This is an umpire training video on how to identify a crowhop.

I am pretty sure, the Troy pitcher was still in contact with the plate, when her hands separated.

1660757507391.png

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Is that your subjective opinion? I have never seen anyone start pitching from this position.... weird...

Oh, wait, there is a rule about when the pitch starts....
10.3 Start of the Pitch The pitch officially begins and cannot be discontinued once the hands have separated after coming together.

While this umpire training video is about NFHS rules, the crow hopping rules are very much the same, except for the bearing weight section the NCAA added. 36 seconds into the video....

"The base umpire must focus on the pitchers pivot foot at the moment the hands separate" "When a pitcher is starting from in front of the pitchers plate, instead of on it, a crow hop has occurred."

This is an umpire training video on how to identify a crowhop.

I am pretty sure, the Troy pitcher was still in contact with the plate, when her hands separated.

View attachment 26280

Enforce rules that pitcher must stay inside the circle and pitching lane, otherwise who cares. You still have to hit it. And if they are staying within the lane and circle then it doesn't matter much.

May 16, 2016
Enforce rules that pitcher must stay inside the circle and pitching lane, otherwise who cares. You still have to hit it. And if they are staying within the lane and circle then it doesn't matter much.
There is no rule about staying inside the circle. Are you suggesting a new rule?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598