How our DDs ended up on college teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2020
Lol! Nope - definitely not a guy - and not trying to control anyone’s future.

I look at it this way - these schools put a lot of time and effort into a player and their recruitment if they get to the point of an offer. Then it looks like the player is just throwing it in their face by posting all the other offers.

Recruiting is similar to dating. Announcing all the offers is like announcing everyone else you are dating at the same time. Don’t think anyone would be happy about that in the end.

Again, just my opinion.
I think it's smart to keep it close to the vest because if you have a 2023 lefty outfielder and you hear on Twitter that ABC University "offered" to another 2023 lefty outfielder, what's to stop you from contacting that college to get that spot while the other girl is busy showboating her offers.

Jun 8, 2016
I think it's smart to keep it close to the vest because if you have a 2023 lefty outfielder and you hear on Twitter that ABC University "offered" to another 2023 lefty outfielder, what's to stop you from contacting that college to get that spot while the other girl is busy showboating her offers.
The only benefit that I can see is that you are getting your name out there as somebody who is attracting offers and that might bring more interest..maybe?? I would like to think college coaches wouldn't operate that way but some of these men/ladies do some stupid things so who knows..

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Lol! Nope - definitely not a guy - and not trying to control anyone’s future.

I look at it this way - these schools put a lot of time and effort into a player and their recruitment if they get to the point of an offer. Then it looks like the player is just throwing it in their face by posting all the other offers.

Recruiting is similar to dating. Announcing all the offers is like announcing everyone else you are dating at the same time. Don’t think anyone would be happy about that in the end.

Again, just my opinion.

Last April, while accompanying my DD on an orientation visit to U of Oregon for incoming freshmen, I met a dad at the hotel bar who was there for a football recruiting trip for his DS. The kid is the #1 ranked HS football player in Nebraska. There is no secret that he is a hot target for pretty much every top-level D1 program in the country, and there's no doubt that UO was trying to make an strong impression on the kid...and the dad. Browsing over the Twitter feed of the son, there seems to be no reluctance to post about offers received from a very long list of football-powerhouse schools, as well as some offers for track. I would bet that the online presence and content is being curated very intentionally.

Best of all, the younger sister is a softball catcher. Dad and I talked a lot about that, too.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Last April, while accompanying my DD on an orientation visit to U of Oregon for incoming freshmen, I met a dad at the hotel bar who was there for a football recruiting trip for his DS. The kid is the #1 ranked HS football player in Nebraska. There is no secret that he is a hot target for pretty much every top-level D1 program in the country, and there's no doubt that UO was trying to make an strong impression on the kid...and the dad. Browsing over the Twitter feed of the son, there seems to be no reluctance to post about offers received from a very long list of football-powerhouse schools, as well as some offers for track. I would bet that the online presence and content is being curated very intentionally.

Best of all, the younger sister is a softball catcher. Dad and I talked a lot about that, too.
DD graduated from a "football" high school. We have had several prospects play at the D1 level including several right now. None of them were shy about posting their offers.

Nov 18, 2013
I will say this - we have a girl (2023) that played on DD's team last season that posts every school visit she has. I know some offers have been made at those visits because of talks with the girl. I will say it has not affected her recruitment one bit. She still hasn't committed and hasn't gone on a bunch of other "visits" either. *edited to say - this girl is talented. Way talented. Has offers just wants MORE*

I get where you are coming from but softball (and baseball) is different than football and basketball for that matter. Football and basketball (at the D1 level) are also head count sports. Meaning they get almost their full roster of scholarships. That's a lot for football (not sure of how many) and 12 for basketball. SB & BB are equivalency sports and only get a few scholarships to parse out between many players. Also keep in mind that number of scholarships is what is allowed by the NCAA - if a school's sports program isn't fully funded then they get even less to give out. It's just not an apples to apples comparison.

I agree about the difference between head count and equivalency sports being a large factor. In basketball and football a D1 athletic scholarship offer is always going to be a full ride. In softball if a kid/parent says they got a full ride there’s a 99% chance their lying. All the kids are getting different amounts of athletic and academic money. To comment publicly would be akin to announcing your salary to coworkers.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I think football and basketball coaches throw out lots of offers knowing that the prospect will post them and play them against each other. How about the signing day announcements with the player displaying 3 different caps or wearing the college shirt under a jacket? Voila I pick BIG state U!!! Many of these coaches used to be sitting by the fax waiting on NLI's to show up and match them on their draft board.

Softball seems to have a more personal process, but I'm beginning to think that's changing with these bloated rosters. Used to be 6 freshman was a typical freshman class. For some it's the same, not so much with other schools. When OU offers a spot, it's set in stone and you better not mess with it.

May 27, 2013
Here’s another way to look at it. Say a girl gets offers from different divisions that she posts about - and just maybe she wants that highly reputable D3 school over one of the low-level D1’s. If I’m that D3 coach, I’d probably be thinking to myself well there goes that recruit - no chance of getting her if she’s received D1 offers (especially with the D1 or bust mentality out there). That D3 coach might start working her/his way down their list after seeing that Twitter post.

May 27, 2022
I agree about the difference between head count and equivalency sports being a large factor. In basketball and football a D1 athletic scholarship offer is always going to be a full ride. In softball if a kid/parent says they got a full ride there’s a 99% chance their lying. All the kids are getting different amounts of athletic and academic money. To comment publicly would be akin to announcing your salary to coworkers.

i don’t tell anyone what my daughter got for scholarship.
A: it isn’t really any of their business (similar to salary)
B: it changes every year!
C: From her comments, I have a really good idea, but I honestly don’t know the actual amount as she earned it, I didn’t, and it’s her life, not mine.

Jun 22, 2019
My girls played in HS & travel and we’re always some of the best players on their teams.

Their HS coach created a fieldlevel profile for them and put some videos of them hitting, fielding, pitching…etc. They started getting some interest their Jr. year, but decided they weren’t going to play in college.

At the end of their Sr. Season they started getting scared that it was over, so they emailed some of the coaches that had shown interest and updated their fieldlevel Profile. Their HS coach called some colleges and asked if they wanted the girls to come down and try out.

I assumed their was little to no chance they would find a spot open, but they ended up with 4 offers from JUCOs after visiting 4 schools. They ultimately picked the school where they “vibed” with the coach the best.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Plan, Dedication to training, Resiliency and
Communication applied by the individual athlete to connecting with colleges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28