How much Chirping?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2013
"I am not sure how many you think I am going to miss coach, but I am NOT going to miss this one"
I don't recall my exact words upon ejecting him, but you're not far off. It was something like that, "Well, you'll have time to figure that out in the parking lot".

Aug 25, 2019
I can take chirping from parents and coaches after a close play, but if it continues during the next at bat, then I'll address it with the coach. Funny thing though, I've never heard and chirping from players.

Jan 28, 2017
Was at a district rec ball tournament this weekend. I helped with the fields. A coach ejected for language, fans out of control, dad punches his ex wife, fan ejected from the park, multiple warnings, screaming and yelling at umpires over stupid stuff in 8U (no balls or strikes called). Embarrassing to say the least. By the way two of the umpires that caught the most heat are two of the best in HS around.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
It really depends.

Constant chirping gets shut down quickly. The occasional minor comment goes through a process which I have heard referred to as Ignore/acknowledge/warn/eject (so, ignore the first one/acknowledge you heard a second one/warn on a third/then eject) - but that isn't written in stone especially depending on what was said and how it was said.

If I am thinking about whether it is time to shut it down, then it is time to shut it down. I don't do it from distance - is done at a conversational distance. If that means I have to take my mask off, call time and walk over to a coach to talk I will do it. Don't yell across the field.

Coaches get way less leeway on complaining about balls and strikes than other calls.
Players get VERY LIMITED leeway - especially if they say something.

You can absolutely disagree with my call; not a problem. But do it the right way. Come out and talk to me. We can disagree.

I don't accept integrity comments - accuse me of cheating, calling for one side, taking money on a call, etc, etc is going to go badly for you.

You DO NOT touch me (which is why I don't do soccer where it is acceptable for some reason).

Also... there can be NO BLUFF in your actions as an umpire. If I say next time it happens there will be consequences - there WILL be consequences.

And as always - I haven't thrown anyone out of a game in YEARS.

May 6, 2015
guilty, I confess. I have a couple of times after DD struck out looking told her never swing at that (both times were pitch was shoulder high, one the umpire was calling from behind the pitcher).

once, in rec, when we were playing interleague, at the others leagues fields, they did not hire umps, league president called the game. said several times there we needed ONE strike zone, their pitcher was pretty bad, ours pretty good, they got "corners" that went from about ankles to shoulders from box to box. he actually had a decent zone for our pitcher. we still crushed them.

one time really kinda went off, our team had girl steal second, ball was there, but bobble. FU (we had two) says show me the ball. SS proceeds to reach next to her to push ball on other side of runner from umpire into her glove then hold it up. he calls her out? if you ask someone to show you the ball, doesnt it generally mean you want to make certain they maintained possession of it in their glove through the tag?

Otherwise, I try to be good. cannot help a few what DW calls my sound effects escape, but it is a reaction.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I can take chirping from parents and coaches after a close play, but if it continues during the next at bat, then I'll address it with the coach. Funny thing though, I've never heard and chirping from players.

One of my absolute non-negotiable rules as a coach is that players will not ever chirp or argue with the umpires. Being upset with a call is fine. Vent to a teammate or coach and move on. But never ever are they allowed to talk bad about an umpire or chirp them from the dugout.

My challenge to our players is to learn to succeed within the game the umpire (singular or multiple) has constructed for them that day. If something needs argued or discussed it will be done so by the coaches.

May 10, 2021
I would have very little tolerance for any of that. Hold the coach accountable.

My position is that unless you have umpired previously (a certified umpire) keep your comments to yourself. I tell this to my players every year.

This weekend in a 14U baseball game the catcher slammed his glove down took off his mask, looked back at the home plate ump and stared for a second with ball after a close pitch. Home plate umpire did nothing. A really fine display of showing a guy up! lol.

Needless to say it only got worse. I did not see any action in between innings either.

I would have run the catcher on the spot. It is getting worse because we are allowing others to manage the game.

May 6, 2015
DD when catching and she really thought it was a strike will frame it for a very long time, simply holding it there. that is about the extent, she tries to have a very cordial relationship (introduces herself first time she comes out, used to shake hands precovid, etc.)

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
This weekend in a 14U baseball game the catcher slammed his glove down took off his mask, looked back at the home plate ump and stared for a second with ball after a close pitch. Home plate umpire did nothing. A really fine display of showing a guy up! lol.

Needless to say it only got worse. I did not see any action in between innings either.

I would have run the catcher on the spot. It is getting worse because we are allowing others to manage the game.

Wow, maybe ump was just in shock. I dont know how I would have reacted to that one. I like when on a close pitch the coach asks the catcher where it was and she says "I don't know, I guess outside" Like yea it was! That is why i called it a ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812