How much Chirping?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
Sounds to me like you hear a little something and go looking for a fight. If I'm the coach, I absolutely get my dugout under control, and then after the game I file a special report to mention the umpire's lack of professionalism/unacceptable conduct.

I can't see any justification for the umpire approaching the dugout like this. It serves no purpose other than to provoke.
I never ever went looking. Only happened a few times when someone would say something very inappropriate and really loud for all to hear and it needed to stop; but I never saw the kid who said it, so I didn't know who it was. I was always courteous with coaches, and 99.9% of the time they were the same with me. I know guys that provoked, who tried to show others up, and I never liked doing games with them - I preferred to leave the field, and no one realize I was there...as long as the game went smooth.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I love good coaches who make it so we don't have to deal with this.

Last night (baseball) rung a kid up on pitch on outside corner. Kid stormed off, slammed his bat in the dugout. Screaming about "pitch was in the other box" (it wasn't)....coach shut it down. Benched him for an inning. Made him come out an apologize the next inning before he put him back in.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Something I read here reminded me of a story. I was not involved, but I was a witness & I know the umpire involved.

I was watching a men's past pitch tournament game & there was one team that was perpetually chirping. It was non-stop and they really were bitching just to bitch. They were a good team, but they were getting out classed by a team and I think frustration had kicked in.

To make matter worse the lead-chirper was a little weasel who rarely got to play but ran his mouth nonstop. He was the kind of guy who would start a fight and then go hide behind his big friends.

At some point the weasel yells some jackass comment from the dugout area. The ump, who is the consummate professional, had had enough and politely warned the bench that the next player who said something was going to be ejected. The weasel, who I remind you doesn't play, says, "How you gonna do that? You don't know which one of us said it."

The umpire remaining more calm than I ever could said, "You're right, so I'll have to guess who it was. I bet it was either your pitcher, your catcher, your 3rd batter, or your clean up hitter. I'm going to start with them, and if I'm wrong I'll just have to keep going."

Problem solved. Not another word was said the rest of the game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee