How many swings per week?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Hi,

I coach a 14U tb team and we just switched from machine to live in our winter workouts so that reduces their swings at practice quite a bit. How many swings away from practice would you like to have from your players? I was thinking 500 but not everyone has a bownet or tunnel at home so that might be too much. Thanks for your help!

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
My DD does 100-250 depending on what she wants to work on, not all full speed either. Some time she will do slow swings in front of a mirror. It's not always the quantity but the quality and a plan.

My DD does 100-250 depending on what she wants to work on, not all full speed either. Some time she will do slow swings in front of a mirror. It's not always the quantity but the quality and a plan.

Read my mind, it's about quality not just quantity, if she is developing muscle memory of a bad swing more swings are not better. Definitely do some slo mo drills and other drills that are not full swings and also work in full swings, do some soft toss, some tee work etc. , not sure about putting a number on it but if you hit once a week during workouts then two or three times a week of maybe 75 each sounds right, especially off season. Again having a plan is important emphasize an area work 5 or so swings slowly emphasizing form then let her swing away on 10 or so, then progress to another couple drills then maybe 5 full swings with different placement (high, low, in, out)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Hi,

I coach a 14U tb team and we just switched from machine to live in our winter workouts so that reduces their swings at practice quite a bit. How many swings away from practice would you like to have from your players? I was thinking 500 but not everyone has a bownet or tunnel at home so that might be too much. Thanks for your help!

500 is a solid goal but 500 bad swings a week will not help anyone. Better to to 15-20 dry swings a night with a focus. Imagine the pitch. Low-outside, low-inside. Missed pitch down the middle. See the pitch and swing with a target in mind. 12/13/14 yo girls should be able to do that.

Jan 17, 2013
Don't know that I can say it any better than it's been said. It's absolutely better to do 15-20 good swings a day than 500 bad ones a week and memorize bad habits, because once they've been learned, they'll be exponentially harder to break. If they're all good swings already, I'd say anywhere between 250-500 is a great goal depending on the rest of the week's schedule.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
As stated above its quality and not quantity. Practice makes permanent. I'd rather see a kid only take 50 perfect cuts a week instead of 500 hacks. Girls on my 14u team are asked to take 100 swings every other day at home on a tee with a wiffle ball tethered to the base of the tee (assuming she doesnt have a jugs or bow net at home)

Dec 28, 2008
The answer is that each player should take as many cuts per week with as much focus and purpose as is required for her to believe she can't possibly miss the ball any at bat against any pitcher. If she swings 500 times but walks up to bat afraid, she needs more/better swings. If she takes 10 dry swings a day and walks up to bat in the championship game believing with absolutely certainty she will produce, she's good to go.

Feb 10, 2013
I would have to agree with druer..I am new to site But, I have noticed on my team some girls do worse with more time in the cage..I think the Mental game has to be there first like he said and the rest will follow suit....My daughter actually is exactly as he posted..her swings are limited per week to ensure focus but when its put up or shut up ..She wants to be at the dish and believes she will dominate..on the other hand I have a few players that insist on hundreds of swings (all phases) and when its time to preform forget the mechanics they worked on all week...So just my opinion "Mental Batting" is most of the battle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28