How Many is too many?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
You do this for showcases only or for regular tournaments as well?
Yes. We only play showcases. They are typically pool play (showcase play) on Saturday and single elimination bracket on Sunday. Seeded based on pool play divisions. Only thing that changes during single elimination bracket is pitching. If the pitcher is doing well and feels good she’ll go as long as possible depending on how the game is going.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes. We only play showcases. They are typically pool play (showcase play) on Saturday and single elimination bracket on Sunday. Seeded based on pool play divisions. Only thing that changes during single elimination bracket is pitching.

If the pitcher is doing well and feels good she’ll go as long as possible depending on how the game is going.
If the pitcher is doing well and stays in,
do they still rotate catchers every two innings?

Aug 20, 2017
If the pitcher is doing well and stays in,
do they still rotate catchers every two innings?
The pitcher/catcher combo will remain for the most part. That relationship is very important. I’ve found that swapping catchers can throw the pitchers rhythm off

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The pitcher/catcher combo will remain for the most part. That relationship is very important. I’ve found that swapping catchers can throw the pitchers rhythm off
If there is an A catcher and C catcher, then yes.

DD had a C teammate her last year of TB that was young and inexperienced. The Senior Pitchers hated pitching to her. DD's team had two A catchers and a C which caused some consternation with the pitching staff especially when the other A catcher had a bad case of Senioritis her last summer.

Oct 4, 2018
If there is an A catcher and C catcher, then yes.

DD had a C teammate her last year of TB that was young and inexperienced. The Senior Pitchers hated pitching to her. DD's team had two A catchers and a C which caused some consternation with the pitching staff especially when the other A catcher had a bad case of Senioritis her last summer.

We try very hard to have all our catchers and pitchers comfortable with any combination. It helps that all are very good players. But we think it's good for their development as well as game situations if we can mix pitchers and catchers without worry.

That's travel.

For High School, I could see there being some issues to manage around.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
W
Yes. We only play showcases. They are typically pool play (showcase play) on Saturday and single elimination bracket on Sunday. Seeded based on pool play divisions. Only thing that changes during single elimination bracket is pitching. If the pitcher is doing well and feels good she’ll go as long as possible depending on how the game is going.
When I think of Showcases, I think no brackets or elimination games. Just a scheduled 5, 6 or 7 games.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
W

When I think of Showcases, I think no brackets or elimination games. Just a scheduled 5, 6 or 7 games.
I noticed a trend a few years ago some of the showcases would add a single elimination bracket on Sunday so the coaches can see them compete for something.

One particular event allowed lower tier teams to compete to get to the Main fields if they won their bracket on a satellite field. If they were lucky they got past the first round.

Aug 20, 2017
W

I think D1 recruiting rules called for the “showcase” portion of the event to be on Saturday (consists of 3-4 games). Really not sure why they have added the single elimination brackets games on Sunday but I enjoy the competition. Win or go home. I’m sure there is a reason for setting it up the way they are

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802