How is travel for college away games handled?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2019
I tried to search online for answers and can't seem to find much information. It seems D1 colleges have big budgets for football, but I'm wondering about softball. Does the school pay for travel, hotels, food, etc.? And what about D2 and D3 schools?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
My daughter played ball for a small Christian college in the NAIA. All of her trips were school funded including travel, lodging and food. I can't speak for the larger schools, but she (who was a little thing) still had to supplement with additional food to stay in game shape.

I think you will find that due to liability purposes, most schools will take ownership (which doesn't necessarily mean "take care") of all of these items.

Dec 11, 2010
Yes, D1’s pay for travel. I‘d sure think all levels do, one way or another.

It is a long several months. If the school is in a cold climate, players will often travel every weekend.

They will get very tired of whatever the coaches like to eat the most. Chipotle, Chik-fil-et, Tejas Roadhouse, etc.

Depending on the school/conference rules they may get some allowance type money.

I am aware of a coach, frustrated with her teams performance, walked down the aisle of the motor coach tossing frozen Hot Pockets to the players. The only thing colder than the hot pockets was her icy stare. She’s in the NFCA coaching hall of fame. The announcers of televised games GUSH the HOF fact at the beginning of each telecast, promote how lucky these athletes are to benefit from her 600 years of coaching experience and don’t mention the absolutely cra-cra superstions she engages in.

The stuff of legends.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021
SC
D3 school here and school paid for everything travel related. Some meals were per diem and would only be enough for a combo meal at Wendys some were sit down restuarants.

Doubleheaders would be a bagged lunch.

Jun 27, 2021
Most D2-3 schools recruit from a certain radius for daily travel usually 3.5hrs. or less, not saying they don't get on planes but for a majority of the programs they play/pull from their region. So cost isn't too bad.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD played D2. The school covered most of everything. The only thing not covered were the Spring Break trips to Orlando to play in a College tourney. The team would fundraise all year long for that and they did well enough each year to pay for food, lodging, plane tickets, rental vans etc.

Jun 8, 2016
They will get very tired of whatever the coaches like to eat the most. Chipotle, Chik-fil-et, Tejas Roadhouse, etc.
One of my teammates would bring a loaf of bread, jelly and peanut butter with him when we went down South and eat PB&J sandwiches the whole trip so he could pocket the $15 or $20 we got per day for food money 🤣

Back on topic, I cannot see any programs making kids pay to travel but I suppose it is possible.

Sep 3, 2015
The TB coach would be a good resource for questions like these.

A valid question, but I know I leaned on the TB coach for all of the things that I didn’t know. I felt much more comfortable asking him than the college coach I just met.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2015
Lots of D3 programs require the players to fundraise. For travel, uniforms, equipment, etc. Doesn't matter what the output is, the input is the same. Needing to raise money or pay extra to play is common.

Also happens at non-D3's. Depends on the program.

The TB coach would be a good resource for questions like these.

A valid question, but I know I leaned on the TB coach for all of the things that I didn’t know. I felt much more comfortable asking him than the college coach I just met.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

?

TB coach likely won't know if a specific program requires players to fundraise.
And even if they do, the funding situation could change from year to year.
So the only way to know is to ask directly.

But yeah, this is not a question to ask of a coach you just met. But it's a very valid question to ask before committing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812