How important is the leap?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
DD pitches with a leap and drag. She just turned 10, and her leap isn't very exaggerated or large. BUT, her pitches are pretty consistent, for her age group... (By consistent, she averages 60% of her pitches as strikes) And I have NO IDEA how fast she pitches, but faster than the average bear..

Is getting the leap bigger and further from the rubber something she should be working at?

Jan 25, 2010
the purpose of the leap is to give forward momentum which adds to the speed of the pitch. so logic says the longer the leap, the harder the ball is thrown.

i have determined that the leap itself isnt as important as the rest of the mechanics - stay on the line, proper release, hips opening/closing properly, and follow-thru. a nice aggressive "step" with proper mechanics will yield a good hard pitch just the same, altho many will argue - and i agree especially at the higher level of play - that a good leap and drag will add 3 or so mph. given the choice at this age, if ur dd can do the leap and drag with success, stick with it, and she'll get longer and longer on her leaps.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2010
Stephanie, How long is your DD's stride right now? A good rule of thumb is six of her feet end to end from the rubber. Skinner recommends her hight minus 3" as a good start. If she is near that, she is in the ball park. I would agree that good mechanics should be a priority. The stride can be worked on as she becomes more comfortable. Jumping out of the circle is worth nothing if mechanics are poor. You don't want a leaper or crow hopper on your hands.

Mar 13, 2010
Hate to burst your bubble.....a leap by a pitcher constitutes an ILLEGAL PITCH when detected by an umpire. Ball on the batter, base runners (if any), advance one base.
For every foot closer to the plate that a pitcher can get, prior to her release, her pitch spped increase by approx. 3 miles an hour.....that's the reason that both leaping and crow hopping are illegal. And yes, a leap and a drag is illegal also. Please do not tell me you saw a training video where some pitching god told you that a leap and a drag is "perfectly legal." It is not.
Please let me repeat, leaping, leaping and dragging by a pitcher constitutes an illegal pitch....ASA, NFHS, PONY, and NCAA rule sets.
I'm glad that you're happy that your 10yo DD throws 60% of her pitches for strikes....if she's leaping and dragging she is throwing those strikes illegally. Have her work with a coach now, while she's still young and developing as a pitcher. who is committed to teaching her how to pitch LEGALLY.
If the league your DD pitches in has umpires who are not calling an IP on her for leaping, they are either very inexperienced, or afraid to make a tough call and take the heat from coaches, league officials, and parents in the stands. I can assure you, that the further your DD moves up the fast pitch softball ladder, that will not be the case. There will be experienced, capable umpires with plenty of intestinal fortitude who will be more than happy to call an IP on your DD (or anyone else's DD) for a leap.

Feb 9, 2009
Stephanie, How long is your DD's stride right now? A good rule of thumb is six of her feet end to end from the rubber. Skinner recommends her hight minus 3" as a good start. If she is near that, she is in the ball park. I would agree that good mechanics should be a priority. The stride can be worked on as she becomes more comfortable. Jumping out of the circle is worth nothing if mechanics are poor. You don't want a leaper or crow hopper on your hands.

She is 4'6"...Definately NOT going to be one of the tall girls in the circle...:rolleyes:

She probably does six of her feet...but not 4', or even 4'3"...
Thanks for the feedback!

Feb 9, 2009
Fpump:
She is taught by a local girl here who is a soon-to-be D1 pitcher. (one of my former HS students)
I believe her pitches are legal, as her front toe stays on the rubber, and then is dragged after release of the ball...
NOW...I have seen other pitchers in the league who LEAP, and then HOP, and then release the ball when the closest foot to the rubber is about a foot or so in front of it..and our umpires, when questioned by me, say they see nothing wrong with it. I do. And this is NOT the type of pitch my DD does.
Trust me, we have enough anal coaches around here that will call out a pitcher if they see her doing anything remotely illegal looking. NOBODY has ever questioned my daughter's pitch.
HOWEVER, she has a lesson with Bill Hillhouse at the end of the month, and I will be sure to address this with him...thanks for the input!!

Mar 13, 2010
No problem. Glad we're on the same page. I wish your DD good luck in her development as a pitcher.

Feb 28, 2010
Apparently, FPUMP is not familiar with pitching vernacular.

Leap and drag is a style of pitching that is 100% legal and is probably what your daughter is being taught. Leap and drag style is what you see with most all college pitchers who dominate and pitch legally. It is where you see a powerful push with the pivot foot toe dragging immediately.

The pivot foot never leaves the ground and never replants with a leap and drag style pitcher. FPUMP is just not familiar with the term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2010
Goosedad1, as I was reading through the thread I was thinking about a reply to Fpump's post, then I read your post. Couldn't have said it better.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Folks, allow me to remind you that the rules of this forum require polite disagreement if you're going to disagree. A couple of the posts here show(ed) a lot of attitude. It's ok to disagree, but do it respectfully.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802