How far away is your softball playing DD's college?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

If your DD plays (or played) softball in college how far away from home is her school?

• 0 to 1 hour (driving)

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • 1 to 5 hours

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • 5 to 10 hours

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • > 10 hours

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 5, 2014
Not to pick on your poll but huge difference between 1 and 5 hour drive. Easy to drive an hour or 2 for a game turn around and drive home. For most 5 hour ride will require an overnight stay.

3:45 for my DD but an easy ride for us into northern New England that avoids the traffic of any major cities. Her school is the farthest distance from us of any in her conference but most others force us to deal with NY metro or Boston traffic.

Jun 8, 2016
Not to pick on your poll but huge difference between 1 and 5 hour drive. Easy to drive an hour or 2 for a game turn around and drive home. For most 5 hour ride will require an overnight stay.
Yeah the intent wasn’t to determine how difficult it is to watch your kid play. If it was I would titled it :

“On a scale of 1 to 10 how much of a pain in the as* is it to watch your little darling play college softball”

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
3:45 hr to watch a home game.

Closest Away Game: 25 minutes
Online streaming to the TV is a game changer. Some schools are better than others. DD's school does a fantastic job.

Here are the various distances in the form of time to watch away games:
9 hrs---gonna fly to this one.
8 hrs---nope!
8:45 hrs--pass!
5:40 hrs
4:40 hrs
3:50 hrs
3:45 hrs
25 minutes-In town.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
My twin DD's both got recruited and will be playing their 3rd season at a school over 11 hrs away. This fall one of them is studying abroad and practicing/working out with the Dutch National team. We haven't been able to see either one of them since late August.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Driving it would be around 22 hours. Flight is 3-4ish depending on what airport I fly into.

Good news is they play all their spring games in Orlando so that is just over 3 hours away and I get to see 10+ games in that week.
Oh and they stream all their games so I do watch every game.

I originally came to the USA to play college basketball. That is a 24 hour flight from where I am from. Didn't see family until the end of my senior season when they came out for my last couple of home games and senior night.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Yeah the intent wasn’t to determine how difficult it is to watch your kid play. If it was I would titled it :

“On a scale of 1 to 10 how much of a pain in the as* is it to watch your little darling play college softball”
It's been a PITA. Their first season was short due to Covid with only 16 games, didn't get to attend any in person (no fans allowed at most campuses). 2nd season was better with 39 games. We did manage to get down to FL for the Spring Games and finally got to see them play 4 games on their home field one weekend when they had doubleheaders back to back over a Saturday/Sunday. Season 3 coming up and really hoping to at least see as many as last year.

*Side note to what Orange Socks brought up about being able to watch online, streaming games. We watch as much as is humanly possible. Sometimes we can even see scores, sometimes we can hear the noise from the field, sometimes they have someone announcing that actually understands parts of the game. We discovered halfway through an early home game last year that they had a third camera angle. lol Sometimes I wish they would just play the game noise that GameChanger uses, it beats the silence! I offered to buy another camera/microphone for our home field because when it's cold (often) they close all the windows in the booth...no crack of the bat, no cheering, no umpire calls, no walk up songs. It's tough when you're used to going to almost every game live!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

10-12 game Spring season on Florida: about a 3 ( a 5+ this year because the game locations are terrible). I take the week off and relax (outside watching games) - last year I ended up umpiring a bunch of games at the event as well (not planning that this year)

@ Conference season: 8-10 live; 1-2 streaming

They tend to play non-conference games Tues or Wednesday, DH Friday afternoon and then a DH Saturday. They don't have lights on their field so games start no later than around 2pm so that requires additional time off/hotel stays/etc.

Was lucky enough to be nearby for work one week so I saw one Wed game and a Friday afternoon game that week without taking additional time off (and work paid for flights and various other expenses). Otherwise I took a couple of days off and saw a couple of weekend series.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802