How exactly does committing/signing work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Power 5 scholarships are 4 yr guaranteed now

They can't be reduced or pulled for athletic performance reasons, but there are many other ways a scholarship athlete can land in trouble if the coach or school focuses their attention.

Oct 4, 2018
The vast majority of coaches will want to see grades before making an offer to a player. The last thing the coach wants is a player who is academically ineligible to play on their team. Then they have go through the admissions process like all the other students.

I know of a few players who were never able to play due to academics once they got to college and no one was there sitting on their shoulder making sure they got their work done.

On the other end of the spectrum I know a girl got into an Ivy school through playing softball. She was academically equal to the vast number of applicants but did not standout academically. She bypassed that part of the selection process that rejected hundreds of applicants. Another did the same thing at Stanford.

Yes, of course they want to see grades.

Let me modify the question, as it appears some here (not you) have a hard time with nuance.

Ok, so a girl is a stud on and off the field. She's been to camps, talked to coaches. All the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" has happened, all indications are that she'll get a call September 1 Junior year and she fully qualifies academically.

My question is "what is the application process for this girl?". Does she have to show SAT/ACT scores, does she have to put her heart and soul into writing essays? Does she have to have every i dotted and t crossed. Or it is more "just turn in something and we'll get it worked out"? The coach is not going to lose out on this girl and will do whatever is needed to get her in. And with timing, we aren't where a normal student would apply yet (as the girl is a Junior in high school in her fall semester).

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas

Let me modify the question, as it appears some here (not you) have a hard time with nuance.

Ok, so a girl is a stud on and off the field. She's been to camps, talked to coaches. All the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" has happened, all indications are that she'll get a call September 1 Junior year and she fully qualifies academically.

My question is "what is the application process for this girl?". Does she have to show SAT/ACT scores, does she have to put her heart and soul into writing essays? Does she have to have every i dotted and t crossed. Or it is more "just turn in something and we'll get it worked out"? The coach is not going to lose out on this girl and will do whatever is needed to get her in. And with timing, we aren't where a normal student would apply yet (as the girl is a Junior in high school in her fall semester).
I might have missed what level/division this school is. Depends on the school and she will have to abide by their entry requirements. Just b/c your DD is getting recruited to play doesn't mean she can skate in. This goes for almost all schools. Applications usually open up Aug/September of the fall of Sr. year. ACT/SAT scores might help with academic aid. Depending on the school her application will be dumped into the pool of applicants for academic scholarship considerations.

Ivies and Little ivies and such are a different story. These coaches might have one or two "this kid needs a nudge" card.

May 27, 2022

I would expect she has to follow the application process as if she were not an athlete. However, depending on the acceptance rate of the school, the coaches may have influence on being one of the accepted applicants.

Again, until you know more officially from the coach, I would assume that your DD has to complete ALL the normal application steps. There might be some wiggle room, but I am pretty sure that items like GPA, application forms, and the ACT/SAT are going to be a hard requirement. In fact, I believe the ACT/SAT is required directly from the NCAA.

Aug 6, 2013

Unless this kid is a STUD getting a full ride, which with softball is very hard at 12 scholarships available per roster, most players are looking for some "extra" academic scholarships to help their funding as well. I'll use my daughter as an example. She was offered a decent % of COA (total cost the school estimates per year which includes the personal costs etc) - however we still had a DECENT amount to pay as it is OOS for her. Now daughter needs to get some academic money and was told the school bases their academic money on SAT/ACT scores. So she took that dang SAT 6 times to get her score up into the top 70% range of applicants to set herself up in a good place for an academic scholarship. At the beginning of her senior year she sent all of her transcripts, her senior year schedule and her SAT scores to her future coach and I'm assuming he took all that to admissions. HOWEVER, she still had to get onto the Common App (which is their only application option) and complete that, she still asked 2 teachers for LOR, she STILL wrote an essay, she still submitted that hard fought SAT score. She still did everything every other applicant did to get into the school and she did it to the best of her abilities because that is all she knows. She did end up getting the highest level of OOS academic scholarship to go with her athletic which certainly thrilled us. FYI - she also applied for the schools "Scholars" programs which are even higher level scholarships and she was denied...... although she was accepted into the honors college. She only applied to the Scholars program because I forced her to try and get even more academic money. She wrote another essay for that. So even though she was a "recruited athlete" that didn't help her in that case. So that's our experience, take it for what it's worth.

Oct 4, 2018
I would expect she has to follow the application process as if she were not an athlete. However, depending on the acceptance rate of the school, the coaches may have influence on being one of the accepted applicants.

Again, until you know more officially from the coach, I would assume that your DD has to complete ALL the normal application steps. There might be some wiggle room, but I am pretty sure that items like GPA, application forms, and the ACT/SAT are going to be a hard requirement. In fact, I believe the ACT/SAT is required directly from the NCAA.

A lot (surprised me, quite honestly) schools no longer request or even want ACT/SAT scores.

Oct 4, 2018
Unless this kid is a STUD getting a full ride, which with softball is very hard at 12 scholarships available per roster, most players are looking for some "extra" academic scholarships to help their funding as well. I'll use my daughter as an example. She was offered a decent % of COA (total cost the school estimates per year which includes the personal costs etc) - however we still had a DECENT amount to pay as it is OOS for her. Now daughter needs to get some academic money and was told the school bases their academic money on SAT/ACT scores. So she took that dang SAT 6 times to get her score up into the top 70% range of applicants to set herself up in a good place for an academic scholarship. At the beginning of her senior year she sent all of her transcripts, her senior year schedule and her SAT scores to her future coach and I'm assuming he took all that to admissions. HOWEVER, she still had to get onto the Common App (which is their only application option) and complete that, she still asked 2 teachers for LOR, she STILL wrote an essay, she still submitted that hard fought SAT score. She still did everything every other applicant did to get into the school and she did it to the best of her abilities because that is all she knows. She did end up getting the highest level of OOS academic scholarship to go with her athletic which certainly thrilled us. FYI - she also applied for the schools "Scholars" programs which are even higher level scholarships and she was denied...... although she was accepted into the honors college. She only applied to the Scholars program because I forced her to try and get even more academic money. She wrote another essay for that. So even though she was a "recruited athlete" that didn't help her in that case. So that's our experience, take it for what it's worth.

Thanks, that was educational for me.

I'm not asking for my kids, just asking more for the true studs. I mean Oklahoma is getting the girls they want. Football programs get the players they want. I'm certain corners are cut in many cases.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee