How do you handle an umpire who disregards certain rules?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
As an umpire, and as you describe it, that's not a conversation (in subject or execution) I'm having with a coach before a game. Seriously, going over a rule book on the field? About an opposing (warming up?) pitcher? And then acknowledging it, and declaring you will/won't call something? Bizzaro.

As for the rest of it, not sure how you are connecting that pre-game conversation to the in-game calls.
I have no problem going over the rules with a coach prior to a game. I like discussing rules and I want us all to be on the same page. I do have a problem with an umpire saying "I am not calling that", at least with no explanation why. There are rules that might be "relaxed" for younger kids, and everyone seems to agree with doing it, so I would like to know more about the conversation before judging. As for the calls in the game, I never take a coach's opinion at face value. Everyone thinks the calls are gong the other way for a reason other than that those are the correct calls and they don't always even out.

Jun 27, 2021
Just wanted to get some thoughts on how you handle a situation. I approached an umpire (it was a 1 umpire elimination game) pre-game about an opponent pitcher (14u). He wasn't sure about my explanation, so I respectfully asked if I could show him the rule. He agreed to look at it and then agreed she was pitching illegally. Then told me he wasn't going to call it. So I said ok, fair enough, and didn't bring it up the rest of the game. My issue was more with how it "seemed" the rest of the game went. There were several close plays and 2 obvious plays where we didn't get the calls. How, as a coach, do you handle the message to your team of girls that are obviously frustrated with the unequal treatment? It was a very close semi-final game that we lost in the last inning.

Just for reference - I congratulated the opposing players, told them good luck, and at our post-game team meeting told my players that they played hard and sometimes we get calls and sometimes we don't.
3 things-
1. Never approach in pre-game to talk about an opposing player and pulling out a rule book. Let the game happen.
2. It was a 1 ump tournament, you get what you pay for. He or she is taking on the job of two, add on top another coach telling them how to call the game.
3. Blame their hitting coaches or yourself before you blame calls. Good hitters can hit- slow, fast, legal or illegal. I'm sure over the weekend your team received a few questionable calls in your favor that you didn't object too. Best advice to a coach, take all the blame.

Jun 27, 2021
Lol maybe the reason there's so many single umpire games is because it's hard to find two umpires that agree with each other...
🙈🙉🙊

🦃
Or too many coaches and parents citing rules when it only goes against them. Never see a umpire tell a coach to change the lineup if they want to win.

"Coach, I've seen your team play many times. Your daughter should probably sit this one out, she struggles with the changeup and this kid is good."

Dec 30, 2011
Just wanted to get some thoughts on how you handle a situation. I approached an umpire (it was a 1 umpire elimination game) pre-game about an opponent pitcher (14u). He wasn't sure about my explanation, so I respectfully asked if I could show him the rule. He agreed to look at it and then agreed she was pitching illegally. Then told me he wasn't going to call it. So I said ok, fair enough, and didn't bring it up the rest of the game. My issue was more with how it "seemed" the rest of the game went. There were several close plays and 2 obvious plays where we didn't get the calls. How, as a coach, do you handle the message to your team of girls that are obviously frustrated with the unequal treatment? It was a very close semi-final game that we lost in the last inning.

Just for reference - I congratulated the opposing players, told them good luck, and at our post-game team meeting told my players that they played hard and sometimes we get calls and sometimes we don't.
Coach may need to consider asking the home plate umpire for an appeal to the umpire in chief or the tournament director.

Aug 25, 2019
I have no problem going over the rules with a coach prior to a game. I like discussing rules and I want us all to be on the same page. I do have a problem with an umpire saying "I am not calling that", at least with no explanation why. There are rules that might be "relaxed" for younger kids, and everyone seems to agree with doing it, so I would like to know more about the conversation before judging. As for the calls in the game, I never take a coach's opinion at face value. Everyone thinks the calls are gong the other way for a reason other than that those are the correct calls and they don't always even out.
What rules do you discuss with t he umpire? The only time I discuss rules are usually in rec games when both coaches agree to no drop three three or no infield fly, etc. I take it as an insult if you said to me, "this pitcher throws illegal" or " that coach always sends runners early"

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
...😁... if we're playing against you coach and you'd like to tell the umpire how to do their job before the game please go ahead and do it, get on their fuzzy warm side... there is a chance it won't be held against you. When the game starts you can grimace about the strike zone they're calling also...
But one important thing...
Would really appreciate it if you didn't eat up the clock excessively calling timeout every inning complaining during the game. Let the Umpire do their job. We both get the same umpire.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This conversation reminds me of a discussion with an ump crew I had pre game once.
Ump: coach the other team says your pitcher is leaping, we don’t see it but they said they have video of it. Can you talk to her about it?

me: blue, Ive seen this kid pitch 100 times and you have called her games before. Have you ever seen her leap?

No

is leaping in warmup against rules?

No

does the rule book allow for use of video replay for you to make or change calls!

no

then no I’m not going to talk to my pitcher about a rule the other team wants her to worry about. If she leaps in the game you call it and I will happily have the conversation with her. Otherwise I’m not going to plant an idea in her head that she is doing something wrong when she isn’t.

was never called for a leap, good thing it wasn’t my DD pitching that day, we had a real problem keeping her on the ground back then.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
What rules do you discuss with t he umpire? The only time I discuss rules are usually in rec games when both coaches agree to no drop three three or no infield fly, etc. I take it as an insult if you said to me, "this pitcher throws illegal" or " that coach always sends runners early"
Why would you take it as an insult? When I officiate sports I always listen to tips from coaches that will help me do my job. They may be dead wrong, but I will respect them enough to give it a look, and then I will explain to them why they are incorrect. I discuss any rule that a coach wishes to discuss. I've always felt that educating coaches was part of my job because it makes it easier for the next guy who officiates for that coach. Nothing worse than an arrogant official who thinks he is God.

Aug 25, 2019
Why would you take it as an insult? When I officiate sports I always listen to tips from coaches that will help me do my job. They may be dead wrong, but I will respect them enough to give it a look, and then I will explain to them why they are incorrect. I discuss any rule that a coach wishes to discuss. I've always felt that educating coaches was part of my job because it makes it easier for the next guy who officiates for that coach. Nothing worse than an arrogant official who thinks he is God.
Well I take it as an insult because the coach is saying you don’t know what you’re doing. I understand that coaches may have had bad umpiring in the past, but I’m not one of them. No arrogance involved.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2015
3 things-
1. Never approach in pre-game to talk about an opposing player and pulling out a rule book. Let the game happen.
2. It was a 1 ump tournament, you get what you pay for. He or she is taking on the job of two, add on top another coach telling them how to call the game.
3. Blame their hitting coaches or yourself before you blame calls. Good hitters can hit- slow, fast, legal or illegal. I'm sure over the weekend your team received a few questionable calls in your favor that you didn't object too. Best advice to a coach, take all the blame.

ding ding ding.

We have a winner!

Great post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802