How do you handle an umpire who disregards certain rules?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Focus on what you can control. Your playing abilities, strategies to the game and positive attitude.

Again I will say this~
There are far more moments of umpire interpretation balls/strikes that affect the game on each batter then there are out calls that may be off.
Or interpretations on obstruction type things.

Perhaps this perspective.
Pitchers and batters have to make adjustments to all the different umpires on their strike zone areas. Probably have to apply that to the way they are going to officiate the game as well. interpretation of the rule book and whether or not they deem it appropriate to actually apply the rules.

Softball is a sport that has adjustments and application.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I appreciate the replies, but I think it got a little sideways. I agree the 1 umpire system is tough, but in my area, during the winter it's about all you get. It's a tough job and I have the utmost respect for anyone giving up their time so the girls have the opportunity to play. If I have an issue with something, I bring it up once, "trying" to keep it respectful as possible, then let it go. I guess the title to the thread is a bit misleading as to why I originally posted. I am, and always will be, looking for different opinions and/or ways of how other coaches handle their message to their team. I'm always careful of any talk about umpires post-game to the team, but when the girls are obviously affected or frustrated how do you handle it?
So many ways that rule could be violated and how it’s violated might change how I feel about it not being called. What exactly was the pitcher doing, or not doing?

May 12, 2021
So many ways that rule could be violated and how it’s violated might change how I feel about it not being called. What exactly was the pitcher doing, or not doing?
She wasn't bringing her hands back together. She would step on the mound separated and transition into her pitching motion.

Jul 22, 2015
I am, and always will be, looking for different opinions and/or ways of how other coaches handle their message to their team. I'm always careful of any talk about umpires post-game to the team, but when the girls are obviously affected or frustrated how do you handle it?
My approach differs a little from what some others have posted. If there is one controversial call (even an important one) I don't mention it at all. If an umpire or both umpires were simply bad and we were on the wrong end of several calls, then I see no point in acting like it didn't happen. I tell the team that we have to be good enough to overcome every obstacle, including the type of umpiring we had that game. We have to do everything possible to make sure the outcome of the game is in our hands, and not left up to anyone else. I don't ever present a picture of umpires who are "out to get us", I just acknowledge that every game presents some type of obstacles to overcome and we have to play well enough and stay focused enough to overcome them. I umpire myself, and realize that we can all have games in which we don't feel like we miss a single ball or strike, and other games where every call seems questionable. I don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging what happened in a game, you just can't allow it to be used as an excuse.

Oct 10, 2018
I have yet to see a good pitcher do something crazy illegal that is not already being done by the best pitchers in the nation. Mediocre pitchers who need to crow hop or whatever to get a ball 55-60, let them. Girls who can hit seem to have a harder time hitting a pitcher who is basically throwing change ups the whole game. And then in the next game when faced with a good pitcher they've just spent 2 hours looking at grapefruits and they are thrown off again. I stopped letting umps not calling pitching errors bother me since 12U. Good pitching is such a rarity IDK what they need to do to get a good pitch off.

Jul 14, 2018
I’m a little surprised by the reaction of our umpires. If a coach sees an opposing pitcher who is clearly crow hopping (I know that’s not the OP’s example) during warmups, isn’t it just a courtesy to mention to the umpire: “the other pitcher is taking a second push, I’m going to object to that if she does it in the game.” Would the ump just rather not know that the issue will be brought up?

I’ve never seen it called until a coach objected. Usually there’s a warning and maybe an IP called, but it’s not really something a kid can fix on the fly.

Id love to hear a snarky coach, upon being told that the replant won’t be called, ask “So can my base runners leave on the replant or do they have to wait for the ball?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2021
She wasn't bringing her hands back together. She would step on the mound separated and transition into her pitching motion.
No offense but that gives her no advantage whatsoever and since it doesn't impact your girls' hitting, I'm not sure why you even brought it up to the ump in the first place. Who cares.

Oct 14, 2019
This example is comparable to a basketball coach complaining about an opposing player traveling in the layup line before the game. Seems like the coach is assuming the umpire is too imcompetent to do his job when the time comes.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
No offense but that gives her no advantage whatsoever and since it doesn't impact your girls' hitting, I'm not sure why you even brought it up to the ump in the first place. Who cares.
Actually it does impact the hitters. The pitch must begin with the hands coming together. It’s what keeps pitchers from quick pitching. It’s the essence of that rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802