How do you handle an umpire who disregards certain rules?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I think that is the most important part is recognizing that when a coach is approaching an umpire they may not know that umpire at all. And there is that 50/50 chance of how the umpire is going to react.

It's sort of like deciding to pet an alligator or a kitten. You already know what the alligator might do LOL.

Posted previously asking if people wanted to describe the type of Personality styles of umpires there are. Because think it's important to recognize...
(we probably already know...) there are different personalities and different temperaments of how umpires are going to do their job.

👉 regardless of the rulebook.

LOL and regardless of the call there are still going to be coaches people who want to argue anyway.

May 10, 2021
I think that is the most important part is recognizing that when a coach is approaching an umpire they may not know that umpire at all. And there is that 50/50 chance of how the umpire is going to react.

It's sort of like deciding to pet an alligator or a kitten. You already know what the alligator might do LOL.

Posted previously asking if people wanted to describe the type of Personality styles of umpires there are. Because think it's important to recognize...
(we probably already know...) there are different personalities and different temperaments of how umpires are going to do their job.

👉 regardless of the rulebook.

LOL and regardless of the call there are still going to be coaches people who want to argue anyway.
Right! I as an umpire am not interpreting the rules with a coach on the field. File a protest and have a seat in the dugout or in the parking lot. Your choice.

My personality as an umpire is really I don't want to hear anything from a coach. If that happens we had a great day. Its about the players let them play.

The plate meeting can be pleasant. The umpires are now in charge of the field, is your lineup correct, great its official here are the ground rules. Do you have any questions regarding the ground rules? Great take the field and lets play. Don't ask me about a play yesterday or a what if scenario unless it pertains to the ground rules. I will manage the game , coaches manage their teams.

I don't talk to spectators or acknowledge them. HP umpire I am usually on the foul line between innings. I may talk to my partner if we have an issue but probably not.

I actually like when coaches use my first name: Hey Derek can I have time please? Great. Blue, Ump whatever IDK.

I don't mind if a coach asks for time and comes out and calmly talks about anything........I will gladly engage and listen. I have missed many calls over the years and realize there is always something to learn. I will tell a catcher if I missed a pitch....."my bad that was a strike you can set up there again"....its my 6th game today.....lol. Catchers can ask me how far a pitch missed and I will tell them.

However if a coach is going to be a nagging ankle biter and/or create a scene I will put the fire out quick. The way the game has evolved the umpire really has to manage the game well. I always warn first and present next consequences. Deescalate, deescalate, deescalate if you can. Most coaches are great people and just want the best for their teams. There is nothing wrong with being competitive. Just don't get personal.

If it comes to it I was always take my mask off, deliberately walk right up to the coach, and calmly disqualify them from the game. I will do everything possible NOT to eject a coach/player which means when I run you it was probably deserved.

What I would like to do to the real jerks it take about 3 crow hops and throw my hand up really high while jumping and say YOURE GONE! But wisdom has taught me to refrain. LOL

I don't know if that helps but I can tell you umpires LOVE SOFTBALL. That is the main reason they want to be out there. Its a way to stay in the game.
I have found the less talking the better in competitive situations.......friendly round robins its different and maybe I talk to the coach between innings about a rule but probably not. It just never ends well.

What kind of personality is this? Lol

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Right! I as an umpire am not interpreting the rules with a coach on the field. File a protest and have a seat in the dugout or in the parking lot. Your choice.

My personality as an umpire is really I don't want to hear anything from a coach. If that happens we had a great day. Its about the players let them play.

The plate meeting can be pleasant. The umpires are now in charge of the field, is your lineup correct, great its official here are the ground rules. Do you have any questions regarding the ground rules? Great take the field and lets play. Don't ask me about a play yesterday or a what if scenario unless it pertains to the ground rules. I will manage the game , coaches manage their teams.

I don't talk to spectators or acknowledge them. HP umpire I am usually on the foul line between innings. I may talk to my partner if we have an issue but probably not.

I actually like when coaches use my first name: Hey Derek can I have time please? Great. Blue, Ump whatever IDK.

I don't mind if a coach asks for time and comes out and calmly talks about anything........I will gladly engage and listen. I have missed many calls over the years and realize there is always something to learn. I will tell a catcher if I missed a pitch....."my bad that was a strike you can set up there again"....its my 6th game today.....lol. Catchers can ask me how far a pitch missed and I will tell them.

However if a coach is going to be a nagging ankle biter and/or create a scene I will put the fire out quick. The way the game has evolved the umpire really has to manage the game well. I always warn first and present next consequences. Deescalate, deescalate, deescalate if you can. Most coaches are great people and just want the best for their teams. There is nothing wrong with being competitive. Just don't get personal.

If it comes to it I was always take my mask off, deliberately walk right up to the coach, and calmly disqualify them from the game. I will do everything possible NOT to eject a coach/player which means when I run you it was probably deserved.

What I would like to do to the real jerks it take about 3 crow hops and throw my hand up really high while jumping and say YOURE GONE! But wisdom has taught me to refrain. LOL

I don't know if that helps but I can tell you umpires LOVE SOFTBALL. That is the main reason they want to be out there. Its a way to stay in the game.
I have found the less talking the better in competitive situations.......friendly round robins its different and maybe I talk to the coach between innings about a rule but probably not. It just never ends well.

What kind of personality is this? Lol
Like it!
Even Keel, with standards and talking to the catcher about purposeful strike zone!

And if you want to do the 3 crow hops
'you're gone' to a coach, i got your back...cuz theres a certain 1 or 2 in so cal that need that!

Jun 1, 2015
I do my best, as an official, not to have rabbit ears and listen to every gripe from the sidelines (especially coaches) because I have more important things to worry about (particularly when behind the plate). I don't have a trigger finger for ejections or warnings, etc. Coaches can vent and gripe - it'll continue to the end of time. Tempting as it is, normal complaints are normal complaints. I also ask/tell the head coaches at my plate meetings, "Are you the HCs? I/we only speak to the HCs - if there's a rule question, let the play end, call time, approach me calmly, and I'll listen all day long."

I'm fortunate enough the gentleman who has trained me/led my umpiring classes each year uses the "Three Ps" for handling coaches/warnings on the field: "Pointing, Personal, and Profanity". I'll let it be known I hear them when they complain without too much in the way of a verbal commitment. As soon as any of those three Ps occur, there's your unsportsmanlike conduct warning ("Coach, that's your warning, the next time you're gone" - except for profanity - that's an automatic ejection, no questions asked). If they gripe further, then they can't say they weren't talked to. This lets the coaches have wiggle room with their remarks but also makes it clear I'm not going to stand to be personally attacked just because they feel I kicked a call.

Now, I have personally made calls, and then called time and consulted with my partner if I felt I may have gaffed. I'm not doing anything with that aside from making sure I got the call correct based on the letter of the law (i.e. obstruction/interference, batter out of the box, look-back rule, etc). Outside of the usual, "You called it one way, stick with it" (mainly from the team who the original call would've helped), I don't hear much back unless a coach wants clarification. Preventative officiating is the way to go always.

Jun 20, 2015
here's my take on umps. #1 have a 'non floating" strike zone. consistent. Whatever your zone is for that day, as long as it's same for both teams, I got no complaints. #2. call what you see and get partner help if needed #3 know and apply the rules correctly. Don't be the ump that tries to sell the "ground rule triple", or other nonsense.

other than that, i hope it's a uneventful game and next thing i need to tell you is "thanks and that I appreciate you". at the end of the game.

May 10, 2021
here's my take on umps. #1 have a 'non floating" strike zone. consistent. Whatever your zone is for that day, as long as it's same for both teams, I got no complaints. #2. call what you see and get partner help if needed #3 know and apply the rules correctly. Don't be the ump that tries to sell the "ground rule triple", or other nonsense.

other than that, i hope it's a uneventful game and next thing i need to tell you is "thanks and that I appreciate you". at the end of the game.
I wish all the games were like this!! UNEVENTFUL is the best for the umpires

Jan 31, 2011
I'm really late to this discussion, but reading through most of the posts, it got me sucked in. If someone already stated this, then I apologize.

I really hate when an opposing coach has a pre-game discussion about my players. Its like you are trying to stack the deck. I had it happen in HS about my D1 (All-State) pitcher throwing outside the lane. Opposing coach alerted the plate ump before the game. How classy of him! She was never called on it before that game, and never after that game. I brought her in as a relief, and immediately she was called for it. He kept calling it, and try as I might, the damage was done. It got in her head and of course affected the game. That was the outcome the opposing coach had hoped for. Its bush league IMHO. I'm sure the OP wasn't intending to cause an issue like that, but it just isn't cool.

Now, if a kid is quick pitching you and the ump won't stop it, this is a great learning opportunity! The batter can control the tempo of the pitcher. Have your players call time each pitch (look the umpire in the eye when you call time), put one foot in the box, get yourself set, then put your other foot in the box & we are ready to go! No more quick pitching! If the umpire complains about this slowing the game, then state your reason. (i.e "she's quick pitching us blue!"). Don't complain before the game even begins because its an insult to every umpire. My opinion.

Jun 20, 2015
BB875 - I witnessed this exact pitching lane violation several years ago in high school. HOWEVER, the pitcher was truly pitching outside the lane all the time. It just wasn't getting called. I watched with my own eyes, clearly outside the lane about 1 pitch in 3. And when they finally got an ump that actually called it, everyone was losing their minds, at him, not the pitcher throwing illegally.

I do not know if opposition coach mentioned it to the ump or not. I do know that pitcher throwing outside the lane, her team still won.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
BB875 - I witnessed this exact pitching lane violation several years ago in high school. HOWEVER, the pitcher was truly pitching outside the lane all the time. It just wasn't getting called. I watched with my own eyes, clearly outside the lane about 1 pitch in 3. And when they finally got an ump that actually called it, everyone was losing their minds, at him, not the pitcher throwing illegally.

I do not know if opposition coach mentioned it to the ump or not. I do know that pitcher throwing outside the lane, her team still won.
This kind of thing happens quite a bit. A lot of umpires just don't want the hassle of calling some things. When others correctly call them, they become the bad guys, even thought they are just doing their jobs properly.

Jan 31, 2011
This kind of thing happens quite a bit. A lot of umpires just don't want the hassle of calling some things. When others correctly call them, they become the bad guys, even thought they are just doing their jobs properly.

I don't have an issue with an ump making a call. Its the pre-game private discussion I don't like at that teams home tournament. I am in favor of chalking the lane in HS, like in college. Its hard for me to see from the dugout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12