How do you explain when...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
I always question what % of hitting coaches would change A swing like Wade Boggs?
I think cookie cutter is why mlb had to make the shift illegal. No one can seem to be able to hit the ball the other way.

Jun 8, 2016
I always question what % of hitting coaches would change A swing like Wade Boggs?
I think cookie cutter is why mlb had to make the shift illegal. No one can seem to be able to hit the ball the other way.
For all the complaints about the approach of today’s players, while BA is down, runs per game over the last 5 years or so is pretty similar to what it was in the 80’s 🤷🏽‍♂️. The change was more about the brand of baseball being played, and the fact that traditionalists don’t like it, then because it was hindering teams’ ability to score runs.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The change was more about the brand of baseball being played, and the fact that traditionalists don’t like it, then because it was hindering teams’ ability to score runs.
Simply from what that says, gleen that...

'The change was more about the brand...'

Imagine that!!! They made a change that was because of the brand,
( not because the shift was a failed change that was not working)

Despite the success ( it was working hindering teams ability to score runs,)
They made an adjustment because of the lack of success batters didn't have to make an adjustment hitting the ball to the opposite field.

Hmmm 🤔 how limited is that ?!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
'The change was more about the brand...'

Imagine that!!! They made a change that was because of the brand,
( not because the shift was a failed change that was not working)

Despite the success ( it was working hindering teams ability to score runs,)
They made an adjustment because of the lack of success batters didn't have to make an adjustment hitting the ball to the opposite field.

Hmmm 🤔 how limited is that ?!
Runs per game are about what they were in the 80’s. The shift offset teams and players putting more value on “big hits”. Getting rid of the extreme shifts will probably bring runs per game closer to where they were during the steroid era. Maybe that is what MLB wants but if they think it will somehow lower strikeouts and usher small ball back in they are mistaken.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Getting rid of it will probably bring runs per game closer to where they were during the steroid era. The shift offset teams and players putting more value on “big hits”. Maybe that is what MLB wants but if they think it will somehow lower strikeouts and usher small ball back in they are mistaken.
(I was just commenting after reading that small paragraph you wrote.)

Definitely recognize that changes are made in sports to try and mold them in certain directions.

Yes big hits excites the crowd. That's how some changes were made to softball also

Jun 8, 2016
Yes big hits excites the crowd. That's how some changes were made to softball also
Building a team around extra base hits statistically gives you a better chance of scoring more runs over the course of a season. The playoffs, because you are usually facing a subset of pitchers which are better than the average, may be a different story. You need to make the playoffs first though before you can win in them. Teams are not going to change the current philosophy which they are operating under.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Building a team around extra base hits statistically gives you a better chance of scoring more runs over the course of a season. The playoffs, because you are usually facing a subset of pitchers which are better than the average, may be a different story. You need to make the playoffs first though before you can win in them. Teams are not going to change the current philosophy which they are operating under.
This conversation just made me think about the difference of watching boxing. The featherweight to the heavyweights is like watching different strategies. Definitely different speed elements
Vs. Heavy Hitters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812