How do you explain when...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is a hitting instructor around here who has every kid widen up in their stance, regardless of whatever issues they are having. Every kid. That is a cookie cutter approach. That ignores the thousands of examples in baseball and fastpitch which show that this isn't necessary to be a successful hitter.
Absolutely understand that. Because I do teach catchers to use a strong athletic catching Crouch...
not everybody can put their feet/ legs the exact same distance apart.
Some Crouch a little tighter than others but as long as we're still using our legs it's good!

Jun 8, 2016
It is a philosophy as well as mechanics.
Yeah, your philosophy on what is the best mechanics... :LOL: You have to have
this view as an instructor while also being open to having your mind changed should enough evidence be supplied which is contrary to your belief.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yeah, your philosophy on what is the best mechanics... :LOL: You have to have
this view as an instructor while also being open to having your mind changed should enough evidence be supplied which is contrary to your belief.
What I commented to is 'The Philosophy' of controlling the ball with the glove versus philosophy of just blocking.

Then having the mechanics to be able to
'support the philosophy of being able to control the ball by using the glove'.
Is not contrary. It is supportive.

Have already commented regarding saying there is more than one way to reach success. That must have escaped your scrolling and reading 🤷‍♀️

Badda Bing 💥👍

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Fair enough.
My post #43
Then
Let me add this about being a coach
/ not an instructor situation/

Certainly have coached teams where the catchers are utilizing different mechanics than what I myself would use.
Which is absolutely fine.

However the standard on the field does not change because one player is using different mechanics than another.

The standard to throw Runners out is the same requirement regardless of mechanics.
The standard to control wild pitches is the same requirement regardless of mechanics.

So productivity is the measuring tool.

Jan 25, 2022
My kid was slowly improving as a pitcher, but I saw flaws in her mechanics that needed addressed. She was throwing 60-70% strikes, but the way she was throwing, with IR but very minimal whip, leaning, major glove swim, low speed for her age/size, etc, are things you can look and see all over the internet. Those pitchers hit a wall most of the time and many can't locate the ball consistently. It was now or never. The thought of pulling her from lessons and taking over the role of instructor was intimidating, but I knew it had to change or she risked having a very long freshman season. I had prepared and educated myself as best I could.

So, I discussed it with her and we took the plunge. I asked her to trust me, and she knew how much work I had put into learning mechanics. I've been careful to (as Pattar indicated) recognize the difference between style and mechanical flaws, and the changes we made were slow. She threw terribly for a while, but it's gotten a lot better. Since August she's picked up 7-8mph and is starting to locate for the first time. She got super frustrated and I had to make a few concessions to keep her interest, but as a team we figured it out and are exactly where I hoped we would be.

It's gotta be a team effort, whether it includes the parents or not. The player has to understand why you're doing what you're doing, and what the end goal is. And if concessions need to be made, make them. In her case I told her she was going to work on drive and release separately, and not throw a full pitch for a month. After two weeks I got nothing but attitude and moping when we worked, and I knew full pitches had to return on some level. So I gave her 20 or so per session, and it's gradually increased as I've been more confident that she understands what we're trying to fix and is making her best effort. Will it slow the progress down a bit? Probably. But, she's happier than ever throwing, and has even started weightlifting and plyometrics with one of the other girls.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Some kids are so athletically gifted they succeed despite bad mechanics. It tends to come back and bite them when they get to the higher levels. Some are able to adjust, some are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a guy I went to high school with. He was a good player. Good enough that he had a scholarship to play in college. I just talked to him the other day. He is now working at a local Wawa and a local Burger King just to make enough money to make ends meet. His problem...he either couldn't or didn't want to learn from his college coaches.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Dude sucj
There is a hitting instructor around here who has every kid widen up in their stance, regardless of whatever issues they are having. Every kid. That is a cookie cutter approach. That ignores the thousands of examples in baseball and fastpitch which show that this isn't necessary to be a successful

Dude sucks!?!?!?!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478