How do you coach delayed steals?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
What is their footwork, how far off, and when do you coach them to go?

I assume you are looking for a lazy throw back from catcher and/or pitcher who doesn't check lead runners, but tips as to when you call it also appreciated.

Oct 2, 2012
Just considering moving from 1st to 2nd - age and ability will answer this first part. Do you want to steal on the pitcher or the catcher? If you're going to go on the throw back to the pitcher you better see something in the pitcher or shortstop. Pitcher may turn the wrong way or even better the shortstop is not going to the bag on each pitch. Those become fewer and farther between at the older levels. Taking second on the throw down to first is my preference. Look for an agressive catcher. If you don't have an agressive catcher bait her into a throw. Here's how I've tought to run on the catcher. Get a little bigger lead than normal as pitch is delivered - catcher can be counted on to do one of three things. First throw it back to pitcher. If that happens, our runner goes back. A good catcher will come out of the box at our runner. If that happens we go back right away too. The option we are looking for is the third option, when the catcher throws down for a pick off. That's when our runner breaks for 2nd.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We delay steal third more than second. If you can suck in third for a bunt and watch how Short stop handles the situation that gives the runner the green light. If my dd thinks she can beat the short stop to the bag she goes.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Easiest way is a good jump and hard break off the base. Runner should not stop just because it's caught, but get extra steps. You can gauge whether they're taking the runner seriously or just ignoring them. If runner draws the throw behind them, they take off. If catcher runs at them they hustle back.

Option 2 is to play it easy, get a read on the pitcher, catcher, base coverage and attempt it without any earlier indication of a threat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl