How deep to play shortstop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Not the best video for showing depth at shortstop but if you watch enough of the video you will see that she sets up at all different depths depending on the batter.

So many variables depending on arm strength, footwork and how quickly the shortstop can transition to releasing the ball. A good shortstop should be able to be 4-5 steps behind the baseline for a right handed hitter that does not look like a speed demon.

Sis Bates is a great player to model one's game after, but also nobody should expect their DD to do what Sis Bates does. She's probably the best shortstop is softball.

Apr 20, 2015
Agree with other posters here that there is no 100% right answer but if she is not making ground out plays she is too deep or not fielding aggressively through the ball. My ss is 2nd yr 14 and a HS freshman. She plays at a similar depth to the ss you see in the college game on TV, but she is extremely quick, super athletic and has a cannon. If that's not your dd then I'd start with 1 step behind the baseline. Its a little hard to see but here's a picture of where she's playing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
bc367fcdd60be7a1cbba5ac47e4938a7.jpg

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Agree with other posters here that there is no 100% right answer but if she is not making ground out plays she is too deep or not fielding aggressively through the ball. My ss is 2nd yr 14 and a HS freshman. She plays at a similar depth to the ss you see in the college game on TV, but she is extremely quick, super athletic and has a cannon. If that's not your dd then I'd start with 1 step behind the baseline. Its a little hard to see but here's a picture of where she's playing.

bc367fcdd60be7a1cbba5ac47e4938a7.jpg
I see some property damage in the near future.

Apr 20, 2015
Ha ha...those cars are actually not as close as they look. They are about 260 away. Now the ones in the side parking lot have already been bashed by some foul balls but such is life

Apr 11, 2016
What does her coach say?
They have no idea since the other SS makes routine plays about 50% of the time. When DD played SS on her other teams, she'd make these plays 99% of the time. But on this team, she plays SS perhaps once every 2-3 games. When I say routine plays, I mean grounder to SS who throws back to 1B.

In a game, she missed 2 runners by a hair, and I noticed she was too deep. After the inning, I asked DD to play a bit more shallow, she then beat out the runners in the next inning.

DD didn't realize she's stepping back and back with each batter to the point she's on the grass. After the game, we discussed this, and I suggested that with each new batter, perhaps she should go back to the baseline and then count 3 steps back as her starting point? If she finds this too shallow, then she can add another step? This is why I ask the question here.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Isn't this a coaching thing? Shouldn't this already be worked out at this point in the season?

They have no idea since the other SS makes routine plays about 50% of the time.

When DD played SS on her other teams, she'd make these plays 99% of the time. But on this team, she plays SS perhaps once every 2-3 games. When I say routine plays, I mean grounder to SS who throws back to 1B.

In a game, she missed 2 runners by a hair, and I noticed she was too deep. After the inning, I asked DD to play a bit more shallow, she then beat out the runners in the next inning.

DD didn't realize she's stepping back and back with each batter to the point she's on the grass. After the game, we discussed this, and I suggested that with each new batter, perhaps she should go back to the baseline and then count 3 steps back as her starting point? If she finds this too shallow, then she can add another step? This is why I ask the question here.
50% ss making plays... Yikes wheres the coach?

Keep paying attention there , good for you!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
They have no idea since the other SS makes routine plays about 50% of the time.
Coach's DD? Only makes sense, I'd not have a SS who only makes 5 out of 10 plays! Any barely missing two plays at 1B by a hair, where's the coach, napping at the end of the bench?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802