How Critical is Brush

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Since this thread got bump up, thought I'd add two cents.
#1 thing enabling a pitcher to get brush is her posture. Without a nice "tall connected posture" the arm moves away from the body.
#2 Posture begins with the Drive off the rubber. Efficient drive mechanics that do not incorporate any forced opening movement is important. So, if your DD drives off the rubber, forces her opening and lands in a "Ninja" pose (butt out), it will be extremely difficult for her to achieve a nice "tall Connected Posture" by the time she gets to ball release.
#3 Is brush important? IMO, the big three (spin, location, speed) become increasingly more difficult to achieve...........on a consistent basis if a pitcher does not get brush.

Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
I throw/demo up to 15 sessions per week, plus BP for DD and whoever asks. I bonk my forearm a bunch and even with 50+ year old limbs, it's not my forearm that aches after a long day with kids!

I think it's important to clarify for anyone just learning about brush it's not a bonk/bump/hit, or anything that causes pain--if done correctly. When the upper arm pauses at the ribs, the lower arm accelerates and brushes the soft spot just below the hip bone. It can also be thought of as a wrap, or roll of the forearm around the upper thigh--definitely not a bonk! If it hurts: stop! Take some video and look to see if the arm is straight going into release and if the arm is striking the hip bone. If so, the easy fix here is to make sure the elbow is flexed and is tucking in behind the hip bone. It seems counterintuitive, but releasing closer to the thigh with good flexion, often fixes issues with hip or forearm pain. I had a couple kids come to me with bruises on their hip bone and were able to throw without pain--with just the cue of releasing closer to the thigh.

I'm sure that with repeated bonking as a result of poor form, one could develop a stress fracture. If you experience pain no matter what the "fix," stop everything and go see a doctor.
I know this post is from 5 years ago, but had to chime in as my daughter is recovering from a stress fracture that is a result of repeated "bonking" of the hip. She's on week 5 of no pitching allowed until the 6 week mark. During recovery her coach has had her concentrating on footwork/drive and not forceing open as she tends to do. Once she's cleared to throw next week, will have her work on your suggested fix of making sure the elbow is flexed and tucking behind the hip bone. I like the cue of releasing closer to the thigh as well.

Any other suggestions to get her on track as she works her way back are greatly appreciated!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802