Home Run or Double?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2015
Players are players, and not part of the field of play. They are either in the field of play, or outside the field of play (foul territory).

player position doesn't matter. Where the ball is matters. Especially when it comes in contact with a player or other object. If top of fence is a homerun, it needs to be indicated in some manner. Even putting the yellow paint on the top of the fence is crazy. It's a simple rule. If it goes OVER the fence it is a homerun.

Jul 22, 2015
I have never seen any interpretation that the top edge of the outfield fence is dead ball territory and if the ball hits the top it is an automatic home run. In fact, virtually every citation I can find regarding home run talks about the ball clearing the fence and landing beyond the fence. Since this discussion is in regard to a play that happened in an NCAA game, Their rule book has many many references to a home run clearing the fence or hitting a foul pole above the fence line. There is also a citation that a ball hitting the top of the fence and continuing on over the fence is a home run. That would indicate a ball hitting the top and coming back into the field of play is not a home run. here is the citation.

11.4.6 While in flight, hits the foul pole or while over fair territory, passes out
of the playing field beyond the home-run fence.
Note: When a batted ball hits the top of the home-run fence while in fair territory
and then deflects over the fence, it is a home run.
What if the ball had bounced off the top of the fence and was then knocked over by a player? I think I've read a case play that rules that a double, and I think I can make that make sense, but I'm not sure.

Jun 22, 2008
There is a case play about a ball bouncing off the fence, hitting a fielder and then going over the fence in foul territory, that is a double. I will have to look to see about going over in fair territory, I don't recall.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Oct 24, 2010
There is a case play about a ball bouncing off the fence, hitting a fielder and then going over the fence in foul territory, that is a double. I will have to look to see about going over in fair territory, I don't recall.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

[NCAA]
12.12.3 Second base. The batter is awarded second base with no liability to be put out:
[...]
12.12.3.5 When a fair batted ball deflects off a fence and then off a fielder before going over the home run fence.

Re: the top of the fence:

12.12.5 Home plate. The batter is awarded home plate with no liability to be put out:
12.12.5.1 When a fair batted fly ball strikes the foul pole above the fence
level or leaves the playing field in fair territory without being caught,
touching the ground or going through the fence.

12.12.5.2 When a fair batted fly ball is deflected by a fielder or fielders over
the home run fence in fair territory.

and as Comp noted:
Fair ball:
11.4.6 While in flight, hits the foul pole or while over fair territory, passes out
of the playing field beyond the home-run fence.
Note: When a batted ball hits the top of the home-run fence while in fair territory
and then deflects over the fence, it is a home run.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802