Home Run or Double?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Was watching this live... on replay they showed ball hitting directly on top of the wall, and bouncing back in.... So is the top of the wall part of field?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The field is defined as the face of the wall extended vertically, so the top of the wall is outside of the field of play. It actually looks like the ball hits the top of the fence then rebounds from that steel structure back into the field, which would DEFINITELY be a HR.

Jun 11, 2013
It's a HR because she ran around the bases.. I can't believe they didn't try and make a play on her. But the top of the fence is in play.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
BTW, plate umpire uses improper mechanic at end of the play when she signals for 'Time' the ball is already dead.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
No, it is not in play. It is outside of the field of play

The replay showed that the ball hit the top of the OF fence, and apparently nothing else, and went straight back into the field of play. The field umpire signaled HR.

Tell me...how much below the top of the fence does a ball have to hit to be in the field of play? I've always thought a ball had to actually make it over the fence in some form or fashion to be a HR. Can you point me to the part of the rule set that spells that out?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478