Home made pitching mat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Good point about the length - the pitching circle is 8' from the rubber, so unless she's getting out so far that she's landing on the chalk line, 8' should give you enough room for a step back and the landing.

Feb 15, 2017
I used gorilla glue for the rubber and gorilla tape on the joints between the two pieces of stall mat. We are ~15 months in of use and it looks just like it did when we started.

I used white “hurricane tape” for a powerline and then used black gorilla tape down each side to keep the edges from curling up. Absolutely no issues and a bright white powerline the length of the mat.

Oct 4, 2018
Bought one almost exactly like that at TSC except it is 4x6. Cut it in half and put it together and you have 2x12 which is perfect with the new step/start back rules. Allows the pitching surface to all be continuous. Loving it so far. It is heavy enough to not move, which is good and bad. I can’t imagine it will ever wear out. I recessed my QOTH into it as suggested by another DFP’r. I just don’t think you can beat it by buying a prefab pitching mat when it comes to the financial aspect.

If a horse can't wear it out, your little DD can't either.

Tractor Supply is where we get ours as well.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
OP here. I think I stated it in the thread but i wish I had got my mat 2 feet longer. Maybe 3. 1 for extra behind the plate and 1 or 2 for out front.

The mat I bought was 1/2” cut to length at TSC. Easy to roll up if needed. Still heavy but could be mobile. And the rubber cement stayed until I peeled the plate off when she quit pitching.

Jul 27, 2015
Good point about the length - the pitching circle is 8' from the rubber, so unless she's getting out so far that she's landing on the chalk line, 8' should give you enough room for a step back and the landing.
I disagree. For walk-throughs, or now with being able to have their back foot off the rubber, you definitely want a couple of feet behind the rubber so everything is level.

Nov 18, 2015
Good point - hadn’t thought about the walk throughs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 17, 2019
Just realized I never came back to post what I did.
20210213_192630.jpg
Link to mat: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SWPD8W
Doesn't shift enough to be bothersome, flaked a bit when new, now not so much.
In all, I like it, when it wears down, probably would buy the same.
The power line doesn't look as crooked when you're pitching, but probably a 2 person job if you want it straight. 😉
Up ahead of it is 1/2" Tractor Supply stall mat. It was a bit more weight than I wanted, so went with this for the full length.
The wood looking floor is actually foam mat I put in when my kids were little and this was the playroom, so didn't need as much cushioning as others may be looking for.
(Please don't judge my playroom/office/exercise/pitching studio mash up, lol)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021
OP here. I think I stated it in the thread but i wish I had got my mat 2 feet longer. Maybe 3. 1 for extra behind the plate and 1 or 2 for out front.

The mat I bought was 1/2” cut to length at TSC. Easy to roll up if needed. Still heavy but could be mobile. And the rubber cement stayed until I peeled the plate off when she quit pitching.
I don't see the cut to length option on TSC website. Is it an unadvertised in store thing?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee