Home made pitching mat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Bought one almost exactly like that at TSC except it is 4x6. Cut it in half and put it together and you have 2x12 which is perfect with the new step/start back rules. Allows the pitching surface to all be continuous. Loving it so far. It is heavy enough to not move, which is good and bad. I can’t imagine it will ever wear out. I recessed my QOTH into it as suggested by another DFP’r. I just don’t think you can beat it by buying a prefab pitching mat when it comes to the financial aspect.

Jul 27, 2015
Bought one almost exactly like that at TSC except it is 4x6. Cut it in half and put it together and you have 2x12 which is perfect with the new step/start back rules. Allows the pitching surface to all be continuous. Loving it so far. It is heavy enough to not move, which is good and bad. I can’t imagine it will ever wear out. I recessed my QOTH into it as suggested by another DFP’r. I just don’t think you can beat it by buying a prefab pitching mat when it comes to the financial aspect.

With our state shutting down all parks due to Covid-19, I read through this old thread and wound up using your idea for a pitching mat. It cost about $95 for the 2 4X6 mats that are 3/4" thick at TSC. I would have gladly taken 1/2" thick but that was not an option we had. I cut them 3 feet wide and made them about 10.5 feet long. It is long enough for her to do walk throughs and wide enough that I am not worried about her accidentally stepping off the side. I bolted the pitching rubber to the mat. I painted on a power line.

I am convinced this will last forever. The HUGE drawback - we store this in our garage then move it to the open area to pitch. It is a two person job to get that thing loaded on the wagon.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
With our state shutting down all parks due to Covid-19, I read through this old thread and wound up using your idea for a pitching mat. It cost about $95 for the 2 4X6 mats that are 3/4" thick at TSC. I would have gladly taken 1/2" thick but that was not an option we had. I cut them 3 feet wide and made them about 10.5 feet long. It is long enough for her to do walk throughs and wide enough that I am not worried about her accidentally stepping off the side. I bolted the pitching rubber to the mat. I painted on a power line.

I am convinced this will last forever. The HUGE drawback - we store this in our garage then move it to the open area to pitch. It is a two person job to get that thing loaded on the wagon.

What did you use to glue the Mats together? I’m going to purchase the mats today.

Jul 27, 2015
What did you use to glue the Mats together? I’m going to purchase the mats today.

Our set up has worked better than expected. I am very pleased with it. The power line I painted on was worn off after a few times. That is the only drawback. It is holding up well.

We keep the mats in the garage then bring them out to the open area when we use them. As stated in my original post, they are so heavy and awkward that it takes both of us (she is 5'9" tall) to get them on a wagon where we pull them to where we pitch. Ours is 3/4" thick and 6' long. I see the ones you are looking at are 4 feet long. (I definitely like the 1/2") Yours will much easier to maneuver, but it will likely take 3 mats.

Anyhow to finally answer your question, we did not glue them together. Since we use them outdoors, I place them end to end and then put tent pegs at the front and sides of the one she lands on so it does not slide.

If we used them indoors and did not plan to move it, I would probably buy something like this: with a bracket on each side and using bolts. I tend to do overkill, though.

I can't get my link to work. You can go to Amazon and look up Boeray-Stainless-Straight-Brackets-Mending to get an idea of what I am talking about.

And 10.5' was not long enough. I should have made it 12' long.

Jul 1, 2020
Our set up has worked better than expected. I am very pleased with it. The power line I painted on was worn off after a few times. That is the only drawback. It is holding up well.

We keep the mats in the garage then bring them out to the open area when we use them. As stated in my original post, they are so heavy and awkward that it takes both of us (she is 5'9" tall) to get them on a wagon where we pull them to where we pitch. Ours is 3/4" thick and 6' long. I see the ones you are looking at are 4 feet long. (I definitely like the 1/2") Yours will much easier to maneuver, but it will likely take 3 mats.

Anyhow to finally answer your question, we did not glue them together. Since we use them outdoors, I place them end to end and then put tent pegs at the front and sides of the one she lands on so it does not slide.

If we used them indoors and did not plan to move it, I would probably buy something like this: with a bracket on each side and using bolts. I tend to do overkill, though.

I can't get my link to work. You can go to Amazon and look up Boeray-Stainless-Straight-Brackets-Mending to get an idea of what I am talking about.

And 10.5' was not long enough. I should have made it 12' long.

This is very helpful! I'm keen on the idea of keeping them separate for possible outdoor use (we have a large open area) and or bracket bolts for indoor garage. Now that I think about the weight I'm less inclined to have them permanently fixed. My DD is only 5'4 but just turned 12. I will go with more length. Thx for the advise!

Jul 27, 2015
This is very helpful! I'm keen on the idea of keeping them separate for possible outdoor use (we have a large open area) and or bracket bolts for indoor garage. Now that I think about the weight I'm less inclined to have them permanently fixed. My DD is only 5'4 but just turned 12. I will go with more length. Thx for the advise!
Attached is what mine looks like. When not in use and sitting on the garage, we put a tarp over it so no oils or water from the car drop on it. You can see on the right side of the picture we cut off about a foot off the width so it is only 3 feet wide.

Also, I installed the bolts for the rubber with the heads on the bottom (also with a washer) so the bottom would be as flat as possible.

Attachments

• image_67141633.JPG
    image_67141633.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • image_67195393.JPG
    image_67195393.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
I am assuming you used the liquid nails to adhere the pitching rubber to the mat. How has this held up so far? Is it coming loose in any spots? I am in the process of making this but the liquid nails scares me a little. I was thinking of using a rubber cement or gorilla glue instead.

Scares you how? it's a really good product, easy to apply.

Oct 4, 2018
The gorilla glue on turf really holds up? My head's having trouble wrapping around that.

Gorilla glue holds up on anything.

We live on a farm. We have horse mats everywhere (for the horse's stalls). It's a 3/4" rubber mat, 8 foot by 6 foot. I put one in the ground with a pitcher's plate on spikes right at the end of it. 3 years later still perfect. It is a permanent solution, however.

Oct 4, 2018
Can someone tell me if this mat will work? I want a 9-ft one so may have to get 2.
Or if you have any other suggestions of mat to purchase, please let me know. Thanks!

They sell a 6' x 8' stall mat. I'd get that and then cut it down to 3 feet wide. Cut it with a box cutter. Nothing else will work. :)

Unless your daughter is 8 feet tall, I think you'll be fine with 8 feet long (instead of 9).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812