HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Not sure you could teach that. Hips/core have to get out of the way to clear space for the hands

Gotta have timing. But stretching the middle gives you a bit more time to decide whether to swing or not. You don’t need to swing the front foot down. Your load can be suspended or held so to speak.

1655912900859.gif

Reactions: TDS
Nov 26, 2020
Not sure where to share this but since this is an active thread I'm putting it here. Follow this guy on twitter. He posts swings everyday.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gotta have timing. But stretching the middle gives you a bit more time to decide whether to swing or not. You don’t need to swing the front foot down. Your load can be suspended or held so to speak.

View attachment 25901
The interesting thing is that Bonds is "swinging the front foot down" in both of these clips. Thanks for posting ;)

The phrase isn't meant to be literal.

May 12, 2016
@julray and @Cornbread, @TDS has a gif of the flow of energy. I will say the back and front halves should be working as antagonists. That’s how the lead leg straightens while maintaining posture. Many use the lead leg as something to rotate or hit against. I think that’s incorrect.
Thank you. Not so much talking about how it should be done, talking about how my DD landed with a stiff/straight front leg.... bad

May 12, 2016
When does the front leg straighten? Initial knee lift? Top of knee lift? Decent of front foot? Does she land on toe with heel up? Just seems to me that if it stiffens prior to landing weight is back. I certainly get the adjustability part with a stiff front leg
@ Heel plant her front leg was locked out. I totally get where you are coming from if sequence is good. but hers was not.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So getting into a position to hit is swinging the front foot down to you. Got it.
That is certainly part of it. As stated before, many of the things your little clique focus on are similar to things I focus on. Just because you want to believe that isn't true doesn't make it so.

From my perspective, swinging the front food down is very similar to now allowing your weight to cross your pelvis or whatever the phrase is that TDS uses. Both phrases are focused on the same goal. I realize that doesn't match your agenda, but oh well.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
That is certainly part of it. As stated before, many of the things your little clique focus on are similar to things I focus on. Just because you want to believe that isn't true doesn't make it so.

From my perspective, swinging the front food down is very similar to now allowing your weight to cross your pelvis or whatever the phrase is that TDS uses. Both phrases are focused on the same goal. I realize that doesn't match your agenda, but oh well.

Like we’ve spoken about many times before. Nothing is swinging until the bat comes forward. So the term ‘swing the foot down’ doesn’t make much sense to me. Since nothing is swinging until the foot is down right?

Weight shift is something that really is never the same and can change from pitch to pitch. Timing(approach) w location dictates that. I want to lose the backside on time if that makes sense. I think that’s done through timing. You have to be able to play deep to out front. Whatever the situation or count dictates..

Part of not losing the backside early is mechanical. Part is timing. Both are needed imo.

1656257675816.gif

1656257724195.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I've been debating posting this in this thread for a while, but...

I don't think anybody, on either side, acknowledges that sometimes TM's demonstrations look like crap because he's an old, fat, out of shape guy who quite possibly just can't make his body do what he's trying to make it do. In this clip, he almost falls over after swinging.

I'm not saying everything he teaches is correct, but I'm not sure we should judge his teaching based on his demonstrations.

He is talking and showing how you pull back against the lowerbody (including moving forward) and trying to do it all at the same time.

So, yeah, it’s not even a real swing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28