HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Where is the weight when one is forward yet back if one is not shifting there weight across the pelvis to the lead leg? Does the weight ever get shifted across the pelvis at any time in the swing?

At launch since the rear leg/hip isn't compromised during the move out, what is its purpose at launch? Is there a drive into the front side?

I would say around 60/40 when fyb. The shift has pretty much been completed and from there its the contraction against the hips extending that completes the swing..

But some have shifted a little more forward before swinging.

0trijCT.gif

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So I am trying both patterns. Rotating over rear hip socket (1 legged) and landing and rotating around spine (2 legged). I feel more power/momentum rotating around spine but I do think you can see the ball longer and hit ball deeper rotating over rear hip socket. Also turning over the rear hip socket feels like a lower back injury in the making. I think JD Martinez has a great pattern. Has anybody checked out the renewed Tyler Ward from the Angels? He has found something. Probably more mental than mechanical.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Now if you're utilizing a rear leg slip the hip as the primary driver against the lead leg, then swinging "down to" will be all chop.. This IMO is why ttb was created.

knzdEtX.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WW, the contraction really connects the dots for those that want to understand the "down to" the pros speak of..

Great example of the rear leg not driving into the lead leg.

sHYTOLT.gif

Yes. The knees just turn the pelvis where it needs to go. You can even see the jolt from APs core.

Reactions: TDS
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Now if you're utilizing a rear leg slip the hip as the primary driver against the lead leg, then swinging "down to" will be all chop.. This IMO is why ttb was created.

knzdEtX.gif

Yep. The tilt in the s plane never happens or happens late so there is no ‘up’ in the swing. The core is by-passed. The pelvis is the ‘director’ but doesn’t direct itself.

Reactions: TDS
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
CoachJD, Its how Bonds moves (movement pattern) that allows for him to move out FB and sit the off-speed.

3wLHMQV.gif

zB3k6ZC.gif

But you called it "shift then swing," but the reason (in that first clip in the OP) it was shift then swing was because he was adjusting to off speed, right?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
But you called it "shift then swing," but the reason (in that first clip in the OP) it was shift then swing was because he was adjusting to off speed, right?

If you're referring to the sitting action for the off-speed yes, but the forward shift has completed for the fb.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee