HLP vs the High level movement pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Like we’ve spoken about many times before. Nothing is swinging until the bat comes forward. So the term ‘swing the foot down’ doesn’t make much sense to me. Since nothing is swinging until the foot is down right?

Weight shift is something that really is never the same and can change from pitch to pitch. Timing(approach) w location dictates that. I want to lose the backside on time if that makes sense. I think that’s done through timing. You have to be able to play deep to out front. Whatever the situation or count dictates..

Part of not losing the backside early is mechanical. Part is timing. Both are needed imo.

View attachment 25920

View attachment 25921

Yes, they say it take’s .150 or .180 ms depending on who your talking about. IMO it takes 30 ms to initiate the swing, back elbow lowers, the stretch is completed. You TTB before you TTB, your priming the snap.

So, technically yes the front heel has to be down. Although, there are things that happen before foot plant.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Part of not losing the backside early is mechanical. Part is timing. Both are needed imo.
The comment above is something we both agree on. We just use different words to describe it. "Swing the front foot down" doesn't make sense to you. That's fine. Don't use it... The whole point of swinging the front foot down is "not losing the backside early".

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
He is talking and showing how you pull back against the lowerbody (including moving forward) and trying to do it all at the same time.

So, yeah, it’s not even a real swing.

I think most of his real swings look pretty bad, too, but it's not because I think what he teaches is wrong.

My first post on this was actually something of a defense of him, or at least his methods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802