Hitting Spots

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2020
You need to be throwing at some target. Perhaps at first it's the entire strike zone, but it needs to get much smaller than that pretty quickly.

Play "around the world" games with her. There are several. How many pitches does it take to hit all 4 corners. Or all 9 spots? Put a volleyball/basketball on a tee on the inside corner and have her knock it off.

This is a great idea and can make it a little more fun for her. I’ll definitely be putting a basketball on a tee. It’s amazing how simple some of these drills are but wouldn’t think of them. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Get traffic cones of various heights (12" to 36") Pick a cone and place it around the plate, with a ball on top. Start off with larger ball, like a kick ball or volley ball, and progress to smaller balls as she improves.

I think it's a little more fun for them to knock balls off the cones, then throwing to spots on a target.

Jun 11, 2020
My DD is first year 12u and have started on hitting spots on the corners. This is fairly new to us and coming along…slowly. The other day her coach had her throw and was asking her to hit spots on the corners and up and down. We’ve never focused or even discussed that with her and her PC. It’s hard enough to hit corners and then to add in high/low.

She isn’t a wunderkid 12u pitcher that hits all her spots with different pitches and does have some control issues (pitching about a year). Just curious when you DDs are working on hitting spots if you focused on the corners more so than high and low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been throwing to spots since DD started pitching in 2016 as an 8 year old. No choice as very few pitchers are gifted with extreme velocity out of the gate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23