Hitting lesson tips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
tee work...lots of different drills...find what works best for your young hitter.....always good to see the ball coming out of a hand...front toss, soft toss, etc....always good to see the progress but they might have a struggle one day....find a drill they can have confidence on...good luck

Jun 19, 2019
JudeDaRude

How did your 1st lesson go? Can you share with us?
I think it went well and the girl and parent seemed happy. I’ll try to attach the first swing from first lesson and last swing from 2nd lesson. Guess I’ll have to make a link or something. Doesn’t look like I can get video on here

Jun 19, 2019
I think it went well and the girl and parent seemed happy. I’ll try to attach the first swing from first lesson and last swing from 2nd lesson. Guess I’ll have to make a link or something. Doesn’t look like I can get video on here
. Last swing of second lesson.

Jun 8, 2016
I am not sure anybody mentioned this but at the younger ages I would probably give them "homework" to do...you can be the best hitting instructor in the world but one lesson a week can only do so much.

Jun 19, 2019
Completely agree. I spoke and showed her parent what she should work on as we were finishing up. Simple. One or two drills. I really only wanted this girl to work on stop jumping up before swing so said she needs to hit off of a tee focusing on her head staying level.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
So much information could be dumped on you in this thread!

***Teach them the strike zone, what they can and should swing at and what they shouldn't swing at, visually show them!
***Visually show, and take the detailed time to teach them what staying inside the ball means, and why it's so important!
***Show them the importance of staying back and how getting too far out front just produces a dead duck routine grounder!
***Teach them to finish their swing after contact!! They're not bunting......unless they're actually bunting! Don't stop at contact!

***And always tell them there's more in the tank, swing harder, be athletic, be strong!

And love on them, build them up, tell them how awesome they are. Girls need confidence!

For 10 year old girls, that's all I've got for today, that should keep you busy! ;)

Jun 16, 2010
Here is what i observed over years

Let them hit ball
As long as hitting ball strong, dont worry too much about form. It will gradually come. Over years and tens of thousands of hits. to take a 10 year old and get her to hit like an MLB hitter takes about 8 years......not 8 weeks and certainly not eight days.

What your swing looks like doesn't matter Diddley if you don't hit the ball solid.

Forcing it too fast...can be counter productive. And demoralizing.

College coaches often harm players hitting trying to get them to swing a particular way.

None of our girls at 18G had that mlb swing. Thats something colleges try to teach. No problems being picked up by top d1 schools. One led ncaa in HR once time....no substitute for size and strength.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12