Hitting just under the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2014
I love this forum, and my DD who’s now 17 has turned out to be a pretty good hitter. I’m now trying to teach my son the same HLP.

Right now, however, he’s been in a bit of a slump. Swing looks pretty darn good, but he’s slicing just under the ball whether the bat is vertical to diagonal on a lower pitches or horizontally under a higher pitch. He’s fouling back balls or just missing slicing the ball away. I’m not sure if he’s just tired from school ball flowing into travel ball or it’s something mechanical. He swings a 33/30, so we might go down to a 32/29 for a little more barrel control, even though his swing shows he’s still on time and it’s a relative blur.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
I love this forum, and my DD who’s now 17 has turned out to be a pretty good hitter. I’m now trying to teach my son the same HLP.

Right now, however, he’s been in a bit of a slump. Swing looks pretty darn good, but he’s slicing just under the ball whether the bat is vertical to diagonal on a lower pitches or horizontally under a higher pitch. He’s fouling back balls or just missing slicing the ball away. I’m not sure if he’s just tired from school ball flowing into travel ball or it’s something mechanical. He swings a 33/30, so we might go down to a 32/29 for a little more barrel control, even though his swing shows he’s still on time and it’s a relative blur.

Any advice?

Any video?
Might be dropping hands. But would be nice to see.

Nov 8, 2018

I’m no expert but the bat angle at launch is pretty steep. This creates a downward swing angle. Down then up at the ball. Coming under it. He’s not turning the barrel but dropping the elbow down then swinging up.
IMHO.
There are better batting guys here. That’s just one thing I see.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
He’s coming out of posture. that’s why he under everything. Try staying tall during load and getting smaller at stride. a simple weight shift to the back foot is all the load really is. coiling before stride etc usually causes problems.

edit: if that doesn’t work I would get the pelvis to advance a bit sooner during stride to create a middle stretch.

Jun 3, 2021
Looks like that swing was on an inside pitch. Does not look like a normal swing at a pitch down the middle

May 16, 2019
If he's decided on HLP way of hitting . He's already decided to coil...... HLP includes coiling around the rear leg, it's not an option. If you want to load the front foot and rotate from the core, by all means go ahead but that's not HLP

A better coil that you can maintain as you stride so you can TTB with less push of the arm is a good place to start. IMO

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If he's decided on HLP way of hitting . He's already decided to coil...... HLP includes coiling around the rear leg, it's not an option. If you want to load the front foot and rotate from the core, by all means go ahead but that's not HLP

A better coil that you can maintain as you stride so you can TTB with less push of the arm is a good place to start. IMO

thanks for the clarity. I don’t see AJ doing that though. He coils during his move out. Hips and shoulders. Not in stance like the young man is. is the coil suppose to take place in stance or during the move out? The command drill says during stance right? You know that when you load a joint unnaturally you can get stuck? I think we just helped this young guy..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28