Hitting in/out locations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
I'm a firm believer in the notion that having a consistent motion from pitch to pitch is an advantage - both mechanically (for the pitcher) and visually (vs the batter).

It also seems logical to me that any corrective movements regarding ball release are really almost microscopic, for lack of a better term - the difference of a foot 40-43' away can be achieved by the tiniest of changes upon release.

Given that, when throwing inside and outside, is it best to just "aim" for the spot, or will pitchers just throw straight, but alter their landing spot accordingly?

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
When DD was working to learn how to hit spots (it's still a work in progress, but much better now), I would tell her to think it into the location instead of making a conscious adjustment.

My explanation to her was that the adjustments are so small that changing a mechanic to change a location would be almost impossible. Her subconscious brain would process the spot she wanted to hit and make the adjustment for her. It seemed to work for her. Maybe it just took the stress off of her to make the tiny adjustments without overthinking them or maybe I was lucky and guessed right.

Jul 14, 2018
I can’t say for sure, but I would guess that if you put a camera overhead and told DD to pitch inside and out, that there would be a very small variance in where her stride foot lands.

Have you ever ridden a Segway? One of the things they tell you is not to try and steer, but just think ‘forward’ or ‘left’. Your body makes tiny shifts that the Segway reads and responds to. Aiming a pitch probably does the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2019
When DD was working to learn how to hit spots (it's still a work in progress, but much better now), I would tell her to think it into the location instead of making a conscious adjustment.

My explanation to her was that the adjustments are so small that changing a mechanic to change a location would be almost impossible. Her subconscious brain would process the spot she wanted to hit and make the adjustment for her. It seemed to work for her. Maybe it just took the stress off of her to make the tiny adjustments without overthinking them or maybe I was lucky and guessed right.

This is exactly what I've told DD to do, especially when making the smaller adjustment (move the pitch one ball closer to the plate, or a ball further out). Hitting the corner and missing it (or umpires strike zone) can be inches apart. I think I figured it one day and to move a pitch 4" over from 43' requires approx 1/2 degree of change in release angle. To make a physical adjustment to accomplish this results in over adjustment, so we taught her to "think" the pitch in or out a ball at a time until she was happy with the result, but to mechanically change nothing. It works for her most of the time.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
This is exactly what I've told DD to do, especially when making the smaller adjustment (move the pitch one ball closer to the plate, or a ball further out). Hitting the corner and missing it (or umpires strike zone) can be inches apart. I think I figured it one day and to move a pitch 4" over from 43' requires approx 1/2 degree of change in release angle. To make a physical adjustment to accomplish this results in over adjustment, so we taught her to "think" the pitch in or out a ball at a time until she was happy with the result, but to mechanically change nothing. It works for her most of the time.

I just wanted to piggy back this as we do very similar for my DD. One of her biggest changes was learning to focus the eye and mind on wherever she wanted the ball to go. Inside/Outside, 1 or 2 balls over, Up/Down, Etc. Even if her catcher didn't setup properly we've worked on her finding a spot on the catcher. Allowing the brain to do the rest.

DD's PC is a big fan of KISS. So adjusting this way eliminates adding one more thought to the process. So far it's worked. She's still working on consistent location, but it's getting better. A lot of her issue is just mechanics related. Not so much not having the ability to make the adjustment.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Honestly not picking on umps.

They all call the balls and strikes a little bit different. DD trys to see what she can get away with and pitched arrordingly. Did not necessarily work ball in and out.

Don't have your DD aim, she needs to throw it. If she is aiming so many things can go wrong.

Jul 23, 2014
Hi there. DD is a 10th grade P1/P2 on varsity, still 15 for another 6months . She has great movement and her #1 pitch is a change up. She only has 55-56 mph but is trying to get faster. The other P is a senior and just throws fastballs at about 59/60. On DD, Coach only calls screws, curves or change up and gets upset if she doesn't throw a first strike every time. But yet she's not allowed to do a FB in or out.

Now its at a point where my daughter doesn't even want to practice FB with me around the horn, only movement pitches. I still tell her its important to hit the inside high or low and the same for the outside when the screw or curve isn't working. That if the ump isn't calling those pitches that slightly cut the corners that you still have to cut in more with the FB to get the call.

So am I right? Is location via FB still important to practice and master along with movement pitches?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Given that, when throwing inside and outside, is it best to just "aim" for the spot, or will pitchers just throw straight, but alter their landing spot accordingly?

I'm not sure "aim" is the correct term, but the pitcher has to recognize the location she wants to hit, and then she focus on the location, and then throw the ball. She does not say, "Oh, I'm going to land my stride foot .1 inches to the right side of the power line."

As you point, the difference in release positions for a ball over the black versus 2 inches off the black are too small to be taught to her.

The only person who can teach a pitcher control is herself.

Accuracy takes hours and hours of practice, until it becomes second nature.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
On DD, Coach only calls screws, curves or change up and gets upset if she doesn't throw a first strike every time. But yet she's not allowed to do a FB in or out.

So am I right? Is location via FB still important to practice and master along with movement pitches?

I'll answer your question first: Your DD has to have control of her FB.

I've got nothing but love for you, please don't take this wrong.

My question is why is your DD wasting time with a screwball and a curveball when the $$$ is in dropballs and riseballs?

The horizontal movement pitches don't get the job done against good hitters. To get good hitters out, the pitcher has to force the batter to change her swing plane.

Hitting horizontal movement pitches does not require changing swing planes. So, they have very limited usefulness.

It is very unlikely your DD really throws a screw. They are rare as hens teeth. If Cat Osterman doesn't throw a screwball, it kind of hard to believe your DD throws one. We have whole threads discussing the non-existence of the screwball.

The curve is a so-so pitch, even when its working. MLB pitchers don't even throw the equivelent of a softball curve. (An MLB curve is actually a drop.)

Watch a college softball game, turn down the volume, and count the number of breaking pitches you see. It is rare to see any pitcher with more than a riseball and a FB.

My advice:
1) You need to have a heart-to-heat talk with your DD about the facts of life of softball.
2) When the coach calls a screwball, she just wants an inside FB. When she calls a curve, throw an outside FB.
3) Have your DD start learning either a drop or rise ASAP.

Jul 23, 2014
I'll answer your question first: Your DD has to have control of her FB.

I've got nothing but love for you, please don't take this wrong.

My question is why is your DD wasting time with a screwball and a curveball when the $$$ is in dropballs and riseballs?

Sluggers she is learning the drop and rise, along with curve. The screw she's leaning isn't the side step to the left, but a straight snap and a hard wrist twist both low and high. PC says she has a natural drop, but the rise she just not confident enough with it. She's still working on that straight arm without turning her wrist in, making it a bullet. So still work in progress. Her PC is Rob Schweyer here in Socal.

My advice:
1) You need to have a heart-to-heat talk with your DD about the facts of life of softball.
2) When the coach calls a screwball, she just wants an inside FB. When she calls a curve, throw an outside FB.
3) Have your DD start learning either a drop or rise ASAP.

Sluggers, thanks for the advice on the 1, 2 & 3. I'm def going to share your thoughts her when a HS coach calls a screw/curve 85% of the time during the game. We'll get back to location control with the FB and follow up trying to master the rise and drop. Alot of times she trying to get that first strike with the horizontal movement pitches instead hitting hard in/out. And at 15 hard to shake off a pitch from the head coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802