Hitting grounders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yes a sequence problem, she is trying to use the body while the hands are in limbo waiting. The hands TTB at the same the lowerbody starts. It’s not lowerbody and then hands.
Yes its about getting leveraged before the ball is on you (beat the pitcher to your spot).

SS4cst8.gif

Once leveraged you contract (obliques) against the hips.

P8RCp8b.gif

IOW's try to match AJ on the left.

jgLxUG2.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yep. Get the middle to move you (leverage) then the distal parts can react accordingly. AJ on the right is ttb/rotational powered.

Where folks will run into issues is if the legs lose engagement with the ground usually via early hip extension. Hips moving towards plate or early rotation bc of loss of pelvic tilt which loses the glutes which power hip extension.

From start to toe touch the goal is to engage the legs via the pelvis. The gather should pick up the stride. Via pelvic tilt(s). Otherwise folks will usually rely on rotation to power launch. Or TTB. Or ‘fast’ hands wo any leverage. With all three methods there is only a window for one pitch at a time.

The truth of the matter is you need the hips, legs, obliques, knees, shoulders and hands to create a short powerful swing. All being strung together from the core tightening then contracting at once.

Notice the adjustments late with these two players. One extends the lead arm a bit on the outside. The other ‘gets the foot down early’ to get to the inside earlier..

1639334787602.gif

1639334947976.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Looking at the videos - no pullback, poor posture, both contributing to poor bat path.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yep. Get the middle to move you (leverage) then the distal parts can react accordingly. AJ on the right is ttb/rotational powered.

Where folks will run into issues is if the legs lose engagement with the ground usually via early hip extension. Hips moving towards plate or early rotation bc of loss of pelvic tilt which loses the glutes which power hip extension.

From start to toe touch the goal is to engage the legs via the pelvis. The gather should pick up the stride. Via pelvic tilt(s). Otherwise folks will usually rely on rotation to power launch. Or TTB. Or ‘fast’ hands wo any leverage. With all three methods there is only a window for one pitch at a time.

The truth of the matter is you need the hips, legs, obliques, knees, shoulders and hands to create a short powerful swing. All being strung together from the core tightening then contracting at once.

Notice the adjustments late with these two players. One extends the lead arm a bit on the outside. The other ‘gets the foot down early’ to get to the inside earlier..

View attachment 24622

View attachment 24623

Are these players you have coached? Are these representative of what you teach?

I've seen the bottom one before. Is that your DD?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
yes and yes.

I'm not such a fan of the flatten-and-swing move of the top one. IMO, she has more in the tank.

Lots to like about your DD's swing. I like the early acceleration of the barrel on the downward arc, in particular - down behind the ball and up through contact. No doubt she's a strong athlete who can crush softballs.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I'm not such a fan of the flatten-and-swing move of the top one. IMO, she has more in the tank.

Lots to like about your DD's swing. I like the early acceleration of the barrel on the downward arc, in particular - down behind the ball and up through contact. No doubt she's a strong athlete who can crush softballs.

yes the other athlete was pull centric. Set up tendencies with her stance imo create that flatter path. She loves the upper half of the zone. Of course right. Less vertical bat angle releases the barrel earlier. Etc etc. When she came to me she couldn’t stay on the outer half of the plate. Her position on her team was 10-13 man. Midway through she was 4-5 in the line up consistently. Finished w highest avg. on the team. Most rbis also. Got some offers so she’s happy. Her goal was to be an every game player so she could be seen. So that’s what we worked towards. We had 3 wks. to get her ‘better’ so I made it playable. We did try a few ‘new’ things and took steps backwards. So I put those on the back burner so to speak.

I agree there is more there. She’s not tall but she has got some good strong reactions.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
yes the other athlete was pull centric. Set up tendencies with her stance imo create that flatter path. She loves the upper half of the zone. Of course right. Less vertical bat angle releases the barrel earlier. Etc etc. When she came to me she couldn’t stay on the outer half of the plate. Her position on her team was 10-13 man. Midway through she was 4-5 in the line up consistently. Finished w highest avg. on the team. Most rbis also. Got some offers so she’s happy. Her goal was to be an every game player so she could be seen. So that’s what we worked towards. We had 3 wks. to get her ‘better’ so I made it playable. We did try a few ‘new’ things and took steps backwards. So I put those on the back burner so to speak.

I agree there is more there. She’s not tall but she has got some good strong reactions.

Awesome that you were able to help her reach her goals. Well done, Dub. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog