Hitting a Rise Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2023
You mean it's THAT simple? Gee whiz, I wish I had known that. All I had to do was see the ball in order to hit it!! You know, I thought I was seeing it as I would swing and miss at it, and sometimes looking ridiculous on a change up. Here I was thinking that if I had KNOWN that change up was coming, I'd have had a better change of not only hitting it but not looking like a fool in the process.

Overall, I don't disagree, people make things complicated. And I don't read the hitting forum much but, in the pitching forum... forgetaboutit. It's unreal how complicated they make it. And rather than trying things for themselves, they continue to ask other people who've never done it how it should be done. This usually adds more confusing and complications. It's also why I haven't posted there in a while and not sure if I will in the future.
Asking you a person who knows what you're doing, what is it that makes complication? You have prestigious career what would make you not want to post in future?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Not sure who did the graphic design, but a very cool pic!
Yeah, I agree. 2 years ago the University was doing their annual fundraiser and I bid $100. They went through that year's photo archives and I chose this photo. They then gave me several graphic choices and this is the one I chose. They sent the file to a local Walgreens and they printed it out poster size and I framed it. Now it's on the wall in my home office. Because she got an All conference nod I had them put it on their at the bottom. Since she got 2nd team All Conference last year I was thinking about doing it again. Just gotta find a photo worthy of printing.

Oct 4, 2018
You mean it's THAT simple? Gee whiz, I wish I had known that. All I had to do was see the ball in order to hit it!! You know, I thought I was seeing it as I would swing and miss at it, and sometimes looking ridiculous on a change up. Here I was thinking that if I had KNOWN that change up was coming, I'd have had a better change of not only hitting it but not looking like a fool in the process.

Overall, I don't disagree, people make things complicated. And I don't read the hitting forum much but, in the pitching forum... forgetaboutit. It's unreal how complicated they make it. And rather than trying things for themselves, they continue to ask other people who've never done it how it should be done. This usually adds more confusing and complications. It's also why I haven't posted there in a while and not sure if I will in the future.

There are pitching forums here?!? :D

Funny, with a DD who pitches I don't go to them often. Hmm...

Oct 4, 2018
So our 30 minute hitting lesson was all about hitting rise balls last night.

Instructor told her don't change your swing. Key is picking it up early (easier said than done), not swinging at balls, no lift in left shoulder or bat dips and you've lost. Really just her main swing.

Then we hit off (super) high tee to get used to hitting high balls with the bat staying high (before contact). Then on to a pitching machine lowered a tad and aimed up high in the zone. I fed the balls while instructor worked with her.

By the end of the lesson she was crushing them. So I feel good that she knows she can hit riseballs. And she feels good.

Recognizing the pitch in games? Well, I'm guessing she'll recognize some rise balls by the fact she swung under it. :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802