Hitting a Rise Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"So, if they encounter a situation in a game: R3, less than 2 outs, the hitters should expect dropballs to keep the ball on the ground avoiding the sac fly. But if the hitter knows how to make those adjustments, and especially if they can pick the pitcher to know for sure what's coming, I like their chances of hitting the ball to score the run."

Why is this ^^^^ so hard to get players to understand and employ? Drives me crazy.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Learn how to hammer the ball vs supinating to lift the ball.

5puS0R9.gif
IF you know its coming, I like the cue hammer it at the pitchers shins. Its a feeling. Hands stay up and you feel like the barrel stays above your hands.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You can use a extra high tee to practice hitting rise balls and you will quickly find out players are uncomfortable with the high tee. But they have to get comfortable being uncomfortable. The best practice for hitting rise balls is a light flight pitching machine. You never know what that machine is going to spit out but you get a lot rise ball type pitches. When doing front toss, throw high pitches harder and low pitches slower. You can mix in meatballs but don't just throw them down the middle. Seen many players that are coach pitch phenoms but come game time not so much.

Aug 21, 2008
Learn how to hammer the ball vs supinating to lift the ball.

5puS0R9.gif
This is Heumel Mata, the World's best pitcher the last couple years. Still in his mid 20's, from Argentina, he's already won every major championship in the game of men's fastpitch: WBSC gold medal, Pan Am games Gold, ISC World championship, etc. I remember pitching against him when he was on the Jr. Argentina team (and they won that Gold medal also). He was just starting his career, I was finishing mine. He also bats #4 in their line up. All around remarkable player.

Reactions: TDS
Jan 24, 2023
You can use a extra high tee to practice hitting rise balls and you will quickly find out players are uncomfortable with the high tee. But they have to get comfortable being uncomfortable. The best practice for hitting rise balls is a light flight pitching machine. You never know what that machine is going to spit out but you get a lot rise ball type pitches. When doing front toss, throw high pitches harder and low pitches slower. You can mix in meatballs but don't just throw them down the middle. Seen many players that are coach pitch phenoms but come game time not so much.
"So, if they encounter a situation in a game: R3, less than 2 outs, the hitters should expect dropballs to keep the ball on the ground avoiding the sac fly. But if the hitter knows how to make those adjustments, and especially if they can pick the pitcher to know for sure what's coming, I like their chances of hitting the ball to score the run."

Why is this ^^^^ so hard to get players to understand and employ? Drives me crazy.
Why is this? Can only guess. But see a lot of working on having a good swing more then working on making adjustments with it.

Jan 27, 2021
Let's say you know a rise ball is coming. And you know the ball will be 1 inch above what your brain is going to tell you (based on hitting thousands of fastballs).

What do you do?
Don't make hitting complicated! It's more about timing than what pitch is coming. See the ball, hit the ball!

Jul 1, 2019
Riseballs are up and out of the zone, so why would I ever swing at it?

And why would I waste time practicing hitting a ball that's above the strike zone?

Most kids cant hit a ball properly in the strike zone.
DD throws her rise at three different levels, only one of them is out of the zone.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Don't make hitting complicated! It's more about timing than what pitch is coming. See the ball, hit the ball!
When facing average pitching. See the ball, hit the ball works. BUT, if you're facing fast/good (Fouts-like) pitching with an ump with a big zone you are better off guessing than trying to adjust in these cases. I suppose there are some that can adjust. Not many.

Oct 4, 2018

This is kind of why I'm asking the question.

One pitching machine at our practice throws rise balls. That's all there is to say -- so much backspin from the single wheel that the foam ball looks like a rise ball. Our 13U team just hasn't seen many, and they are all swinging under the ball. Timing is on, but certainly missing the ball. Even knowing it's a rise ball.

My DD said she's swinging differently just to not look like a jackass at practice. I don't want her changing her swing.

I'm close to discussing with the coach, but of course haven't thought it all the way through.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28