Hip/Shoulder Separation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
That's an interesting video. There was a recent discussion in another thread about the Kvest and the various data it shows. The guy talking in the video didn't go into a lot of detail but, to me, it sounds like he's suggesting a couple of different things. One, that hip/shoulder separation (or the vast majority of it) takes place prior to launching the hips/bat. I would have to agree with that, as I've argued here and elsewhere that good hitters adjust to different speeds by getting into a hip/shoulder separated position and then simply maintaining it until it's time to launch. His comments further suggest that any hip action involved in creating the initial hip/shoulder separation is NOT the same hip action that is used to launch the bat. I would agree with that too; in fact, it's one of the main points of this thread.

As for deceleration, I don't really like the word, as I think it mischaracterizes what good hitters do. Deceleration suggests a gradual drop in speed. When I watch the hips of good hitters, I see a very quick start, followed by a nearly immediate slamming on of the brakes. Their hips fire like a piston - quick start, quick stop (usually right when the bat contacts the ball). And the stop is usually followed by the hips moving in reverse, like they slammed into a wall and bounced off. Technically, it probably is a deceleration, it's just a very quick, nearly immediate deceleration.

IMO that is exactly what Kvest shows..... Professional athletes generally have a much higher rate of force development over amateur’s...... “First Move” is the hands......

The initial separation is for SSC purposes..... you want to use that stretch to help create a higher rate of force development.

IMO Decel is what allows for proper direction..... We have all seen kids with gated type swings...... that causes poor direction IMHO.

64b252b52426ba0ed9b3bdfec515acde.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
1589588123734.gif

This is an interesting gif to me. I took quite a few cuts last year and I can imagine my equivalent swing would be much less left... I cant hit it 450 feet either. He obviously(to me) pulls it all the way around.(i dont 😣)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020
View attachment 20854

This is an interesting gif to me. I took quite a few cuts last year and I can imagine my equivalent swing would be much less left... I cant hit it 450 feet either. He obviously(to me) pulls it all the way around.(i dont 😣)

That looks to me like, if he was actually hitting a pitch, it would be a fairly inside pitch. I wonder how it would look if he was simulating hitting something more outside.

Feb 25, 2020
That looks to me like, if he was actually hitting a pitch, it would be a fairly inside pitch. I wonder how it would look if he was simulating hitting something more outside.

I agree. Nonetheless, I thought it was odd. Odd as in I would never do it that way. Which makes perfect sense as I am unremarkable with a bat.

I watch alot of golf and this practice swing reminds me of Dustin Johnson. Many of the practice swings he takes. Much of the time they are way left.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
IMO that is exactly what Kvest shows..... Professional athletes generally have a much higher rate of force development over amateur’s...... “First Move” is the hands......

The initial separation is for SSC purposes..... you want to use that stretch to help create a higher rate of force development.

IMO Decel is what allows for proper direction..... We have all seen kids with gated type swings...... that causes poor direction IMHO.

64b252b52426ba0ed9b3bdfec515acde.jpg

what this post tells me is there are things that are passive and things that are active.. as well as things that are ‘turned off’ more so than ‘turned on’.

in regards to the first two segments being SSC movements(sequence)is probably a surprise to some. But the sequence has been called ‘reactive’ for a reason. The hands being a ‘first’ move falls right in line w what many pros have said since forever. But the fact is the middle is launching beforehand

the ‘decel’ to me is about turning things ‘off’ or resisting the urge to use them too early if at all. Or maybe just use them in a different way then some think.

if folks will take the time to find the stretch reflex in their sequence through balance, stability and resistance, this stuff becomes a lot easier to attain and understand and repeat imo.

A few examples of stretch reflex:

1611907302941.gif

1611907358201.gif

1611907935266.gif

Feb 16, 2015
South East
what this post tells me is there are things that are passive and things that are active.. as well as things that are ‘turned off’ more so than ‘turned on’.

in regards to the first two segments being SSC movements(sequence)is probably a surprise to some. But the sequence has been called ‘reactive’ for a reason. The hands being a ‘first’ move falls right in line w what many pros have said since forever. But the fact is the middle is launching beforehand

the ‘decel’ to me is about turning things ‘off’ or resisting the urge to use them too early if at all. Or maybe just use them in a different way then some think.

if folks will take the time to find the stretch reflex in their sequence through balance, stability and resistance, this stuff becomes a lot easier to attain and understand and repeat imo.

View attachment 20861

View attachment 20862

View attachment 20864

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

View attachment 20861

View attachment 20862

View attachment 20864

Nice post WW !! Hard to do if one doesn't become leveraged against the ground before contracting the core. If not leveraged the lead side typically gets bypassed.

To be reactive one needs to let go/fall into the legs.. Becoming weightless during the fall into the legs is a very vulnerable position and many don't have the mental makeup to let it happen while the ball is coming at them...

9g62ozt.gif

17HU7mF.gif

1STqj4K.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Nice post WW !! Hard to do if one doesn't become leveraged against the ground before contracting the core. If not leveraged the lead side typically gets bypassed.

To be reactive one needs to let go/fall into the legs.. Becoming weightless during the fall into the legs is a very vulnerable position and many don't have the mental makeup to let it happen while the ball is coming at them...

9g62ozt.gif

17HU7mF.gif

1STqj4K.gif

I agree !! It’s a moment of no control to gain control w something flying at you fast. Now let’s see how long it takes to hit the main stream.😏

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I guess to get a uncompensated ‘stretch reflex’, the fall into the legs has to happen. I don’t think there is a way around it. You could still be adjustable but some power will be left on the table for sure.

Reactions: TDS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812