Hip/Shoulder Separation and Backside Scrunch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Rolling hard

Rotation has nothing to do with it. It’s coil and uncoil, stretch. It’s not rotation of the pelvis and transferrring the rotation to the next link, shoulders. Rotation, the way it’s explained is completely misunderstood.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
And BTW you just answered the question that the top fires at the same time the lower does, the 'lower body and hands launch at the same time.' Unless that's not what you meant. You seem to be separating the lowerbody/torso as one thing, as well as the bat/arms as a second thing.

Thank you.

Yes I did answer your question. 🥎

The hands commands the lowerbody to support them.

Trying to create a bunch of links from the ground up, creates huge issues.

If the swing is done well it will create the data your looking at, although trying to copy that data doesn’t result in a good swing, IMO.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

If the swing is done well it will create the data your looking at, although trying to copy that data doesn’t result in a good swing, IMO.
So, 'launch the hands and the rest will follow?' If so then everything launches at once.

As far as trying to emulate the data, isn't it beneficial to know what is happening. Unless you are saying that the data isn't representative of what is happening?

I guess i am looking for more of a 'feels' questions, does everyone 'feel' that everything is launched at once? Which again, you already answered in the affirmative.

Oct 26, 2019

I agree with you here. I can say I never thought about what part of my body fired first during my playing career. For me - I felt like if my hands stayed back during my load and my hips stayed closed through the stride that everything fired like it should. If my hands got going early before I recognized the pitch then I was trying to adjust in flight and I was in trouble.

Jun 8, 2016
Stride out balanced while trying to keep the hips/shoulders square to the plate (or perhaps slightly angled towards first for a RH). Fire the hands when the brain tells you to. That will probably get you 95% of the way there..I know from firsthand experience if you don't get the first part right forget about anything else..

tWTyvz9.gif

Dec 5, 2017
Early on I said initial hip movement created stretch. I have come back to this 23 years later.

I don’t believe in rotation.

If you want to broaden your understanding, I suggest you sign up for Richard Schenck’s Patreon for 10 dollars. You can watch all the Patreons you want for 10 bucks.
Did you watch the clip above? How can you say he doesn't rotate, as all hitters do? There is no snap the bat back like Rich suggests in any mlb swing. Coil, ride it, rotate. All these demonstrations of snapping the bat back towards the catcher is an action that is not happening. The bat moves in an arc.

Reactions: TDS

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Stride out balanced while trying to keep the hips/shoulders square to the plate (or perhaps slightly angled towards first for a RH). Fire the hands when the brain tells you to. That will probably get you 95% of the way there..I know from firsthand experience if you don't get the first part right forget about anything else..

tWTyvz9.gif
Thanks, appreciate the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802