High School softball issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Update again: We are in the off-season as we do HS Softball in the fall. But he still wants them doing workouts. So they will do 4 on 1s (which is just 4 players and the one coach doing hitting or some kind of fielding workout for 40 minutes) two days a week and weight training two days a week. It started last week and DD was so nervous to do 4 on 1s since she's never done them with him before. But she said that it went really well. She is going to be super tired as she has those Mon-Thurs and has Travel on Tues/Thurs/weekend. She actually does weight training in ROTC on Tuesdays as well and PT on Fridays :/

Ofc sadly - DD just tested positive for Covid - so she's out a week at least :/

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Update: She is better now - she actually went back to school last week. Thursday she had weight training and then had to do conditioning for TB - she got a little winded while there but had a 3 hr practice on Sunday and seemed ok.

Surprisingly no one else in the house tested positive. 🤔
I did feel bad having her basically stuck in her room and us backing away from her whenever she came downstairs :/ DH has diabetes and we couldn't risk him catching it.

Feb 24, 2021
So DD started her freshman year the same year our high school got a new coach. During the initial parent meeting he mentioned that he'd like it if upperclassmen took a Weight Training class. And that as long as the freshmen were taking PE, they'd be okay since I guess WT is done during that.
DD is taking JROTC and so she is not required to take a PE. After the meeting, we emailed the coach and said she would not have room in her schedule to take WT and he replied that he was not worried about her as JROTC does PT. So we were like - ok - great.
Coming up on two years later almost - he sends a msg to the girls and said - I'm registering you all for Weight Training - let me know if there is some valid reason you cannot take it.
DD replied to him saying - I'm taking ROTC still and you said it would be okay to take in place of WT. He replied back and was like - Not what I said, but sure. We ended up telling her to reply "My parents had told me that they thought that ROTC could take the place of it and please let me know if there is something I can do in place of it not during school time" He replied and said - we'll talk about it at the next parent meeting.

So A - we just had a parent meeting and he never mentioned any of this to us - and actually freaked out a ton of the upcoming freshmen parents who have to make decisions about the upcoming year
B - How can he sign up people for a class w/o consulting parents
C - My kid's academic classes are more important and are going to take priority over a PE class when my DD is already doing HS practices, travel practices and ROTC PT.

Does anyone else's coach require this? I know our football team is pretty much told to take WT but I would hope if they wanted to take a class that did not allow for this - it would not be required.
It wouldn't be an issue except that we already feel like the coach doesn't like DD so it's just one more reason for him to ignore her and not play her.

If it were me, I would have the coach and the ROTC instructor meet in the principal's office with the school's athletic director to discuss this matter.

Jul 31, 2015
Update: She is better now - she actually went back to school last week. Thursday she had weight training and then had to do conditioning for TB - she got a little winded while there but had a 3 hr practice on Sunday and seemed ok.

Surprisingly no one else in the house tested positive. 🤔
I did feel bad having her basically stuck in her room and us backing away from her whenever she came downstairs :/ DH has diabetes and we couldn't risk him catching it.

You did the right thing! Covid is very contagious.

Glad to hear everything worked out health-wise. Let us know how the softball-ROTC conflict resolves.
Thanks!

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Since DD and her friend are both in ROTC, I do think that the coach went and talked to the ROTC teacher - so I'm guessing he got whatever information he needed :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802