High School practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Only two game days per week? How many games do they play in a season?

This was a big change for me when I moved from Illinois to PA. We went from playing 35 regular season games allowed to 20. Took a while to get used to it, but now I really enjoy the practice and recovery time!

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
The girls I felt sorry for were the JV girls who were also on Varsity. They had to go to their JV games AND Varsity games - even if they just sat during Varsity - so a lot of the time, they'd be at games 5xweek and Saturdays when we had double headers.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I had a similar situation to your DD...but in a different sport. In PA, softball is a spring sport. So, I had played field hockey in my freshman and sophomore years of high school. I loved my coach during my freshman year and we got another coach for my sophomore year. She killed my passion for the sport with derogatory statements, very harsh criticisms where other players doing the same thing I did not getting any criticism, made me run extra for virtually nothing even though I played midfield where I did a lot of running. There was just a lot of unfair stuff happening. I did cheerleading tryouts the next spring and surprisingly with the little bit of peewee experience I had, I made the varsity squad. But that coach killed the passion I had to whack that little white dimpled ball with my stick. Killed my passion to walk out onto the pitch in my little black field hockey skirt, black socks, and shin guards and play a game I fell in love with in middle school. I was a decent player. That coach that killed my passion...got fired for making racist comments about an Asian player on the team the next season.

It sounds like the head coach of your daughter's team is tough. And tough can either be a good thing or a bad thing. I really don't know if how much your coach has your daughter practicing is a good thing or not. I'd be concerned about getting home at 930 at night and having to eat and do homework, chores, and anything else she has to do. Plus, doing softball all year-'round. Ofc, we do that at college, but softball is our lone sport and we get downtime in the summer when no one is on campus.

Jul 14, 2018
Why not tell the coach you need to miss a practice every once in a while? If you have to ride the pine for a game or two, so be it. Nobody’s scholarship is riding on their performance in a HS game. Worse case scenario is you get cut. Then you can tell your TB coach/recruiting coordinator, “it’s a competitive team, I got cut.” Both situations sound better than ‘the coach was too demanding so I quit.’

Health (mental and physical) comes first, then academics, softball should be a distant third even if it’s a major priority for a kid.

BTW, DD’s HS team practices 3:00 - 6:00 every day, with Saturday mornings from 9:00 - 12:00 or so. Three to four games a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802